The entertainment industry’s diverse nature ensures a steady stream of uniquely talented artists that never fail to disappoint. Whether it is a solo or group act, you can find great songs in your preferred genre and likely from different continents. One of South Korea's best groups, Blackpink has consistently entertained its audience since debuting in August 2016 with their single album Square One. How much do you know about Blackpink members aside from their singing prowess?
Blackpink’s hit single, Kill This Love made history by being the highest-charting Hot 100 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. This is the first record ever hit by a K-pop group. The four glamorous girls of the group, Jennie, Lisa, Rosé, and Jisoo, are just four of the many idols at the centre of Korean pop today, alongside BTS and many more. What makes these girls one of the most admired in the industry? What is the Blackpink age bracket?
Blackpink members names and facts
The group’s name, Blackpink, represents its identity. Pink portrays their pretty side, while black embodies the talent behind their pretty faces. In short, they are a group of girls who slay visually and musically.
Despite being only four, Blackpink members are bursting with impact, talent, and influence. And that is why the girls have attracted immense global attention, raising many questions about their personal lives.
What are Blackpink members age? How old are they, and are they in relationships? A peek into every member's personal life would provide excellent insight and respond to the bugging questions that most fans have.
- Birthday: January 3, 1995 (Capricorn)
- Age: 26 years old as of 2021
- Jisoo height in feet: 5 feet 3 inches
- Nationality: Korean
- Favourite food: Spicy foods
- Nicknames: Jichu, Chi Choo
- Position: Visual and lead vocalist
- Blood type: A
Despite being the oldest, she has a 4D personality, one of her most considerable charms. A great example of her entertaining 4D personality would be her habit of balancing objects. These are usually bottles or cups of water on her head or shoulders.
Jisoo loves making nicknames for people and has made some for all other Blackpink members. Aside from nicknames, she also randomly makes short and quirky songs for absolutely anything. She even has a song for YG Entertainment founder Yang Hyun Sik that she sang in Weekly Idol.
According to Jisoo, if she were a guy, she would date Rosé because of her fantastic personality. She plays the guitar, sings every night, plus write songs for her.
The visual queen considers her lips as the most favourite parts of her body because they create a heart shape when she smiles. Aside from this, the talented vocalist is a great fan of Pikachu and even has Pikachu collectables and merchandise.
Jisoo is quite playful and inventive, and she came up with the words Nyeongan and Ppoong. She derived Nyeongan from the word Annyeong but instead made it backwards like Nyeong + An. It’s a general greeting for hello or goodbye. Ppoong does not mean anything at all, which means fans can use it anyway they like.
The Unnie of Blackpink is the Maknae (youngest) of her family. She has an older brother, Kim Jung Hun, and an older sister, Kim Ji-Yoon. Her older brother is six years older than her.
She has a dog named Dalgom or Dalgomie. Lisa likes teasing Dalgom, which is why the dog often barks at her. Fans describe it as a Shih Poo or a cross of a Shih-Tzu and miniature poodle. Others say it is a Maltese breed.
Fun facts about Kim Jisoo
- Since Jisoo is part of the ‘95 line, she is automatically the oldest or the unnie (older sister) among the Blackpink members.
- The talented vocalist hails from Seoul, South Korea and trained under YG Entertainment for five years. She started her training in the firm at only 16 years old. Jisoo is incredibly multitalented as she can also play the piano and drums.
- She was the third member of Blackpink to be publicly revealed. Before her unveiling, Jisoo appeared in Epik High's Spoiler+Happy Ending and Hi Suhyun and I'm Different music videos.
- She had an appearance on KBS TV Series The Producers with Sandara Park and IU.
- Birthday: January 16, 1996 (Capricorn)
- Age: 25 years old as of 2021
- Jennie Kim height: 163 cm (5’4’’)
- Nationality: Korean
- Favourite food: Milk, flavoured ice cream
- Nicknames: Jendeukie, NiNi, Jen, JenJen
- Position: Vocalist, main rapper
- Jennie Kim boyfriend: G-Dragon
- Blood type: B
Jennie has a great personality that fans love. One of the group’s members, Jisoo, calls her Jendeukie which is a play on the Korean word for sticky as Jennie gets clingy when Jisoo tries to wake her up.
One of Jennie’s hidden charms is that she can look 'sexy and confident but can be very shy. And this interesting part of her personality is why she is a master of aegyo or acting cute and talking and sounding like a baby.
Jennie is considered the best-dressed always in the group, which has earned her the name Human Gucci. She often wears the brand and other expensive clothes. Because of her fashion-forward outfits, she caught the attention of French fashion brand Chanel and has been one of their ambassadors since 2018.
Jennie revealed in a 2018 interview with Elle Korea that Rihanna is her all-time idol and that the singer has everything Jennie aspires to be.
In their As if it’s your last V-live, Jennie mentioned that if she were to date one of the members as a guy, she would choose Jisoo because she makes her laugh. Also, she revealed that she became close with Blackpink member Jisoo after sharing a moment in a Korean sauna talking about their future and their dreams.
What most people don’t know is that Jennie is an only child. On top of this, she uses her real name in the group. Therefore, if you are trying to figure out Jennie Kim real name, you will be glad to know that it is the same.
It is speculated that Jennie comes from a wealthy family, hence her current lifestyle. Her mother is affiliated with media company CJ E&M, and the father owns a hospital.
Even though Jennie doesn’t have siblings, fans playfully call child model Ella Gross, who is also under YG Entertainment, her little sister as she bears a resemblance to the Blackpink star. Interestingly, they are close and even spent some time with her in Ella’s hometown.
Jennie owns two dogs, Kai (Cocker Spaniel) and Kuma (Pomeranian). Kuma means bear in Japanese. The dog is brown like a bear with a white patch on his chest.
Kai is reserved, while Kuma is mainly seen on their V-lives. On one of their V-lives, the four girls introduced the version Kumayah which parodies their song Boombayah but with Jennie’s dog, Kuma.
Fun facts about Jennie Kim
- Jennie hails from Gyeonggi province in South Korea, specifically the city of Anyang. She lived in Auckland, New Zealand, during her studies at ACG Parnell College, where she stayed in the country for five years.
- She is referred to as YG Princess of the group and is often rumoured to be YG’s favourite, likely because of her incredible talent and personality.
- Aside from singing and rapping, Jennie can play the flute and piano.
- Jennie started training with YG at just 14 years old and continued the program for six years until her debut.
- Interestingly, she was the first to be revealed amongst other Blackpink members.
- Jennie’s association with Blackpink wasn’t her first time to appear on television. When she was 10 years old, she made her TV debut in an MBC Documentary titled English, Must Change to Survive.
- Before her debut, Jennie worked with YG Entertainment's G-Dragon and appeared in his That XX music video and even featured on his track Black.
- Birthday: February 11, 1997 (Aquarius)
- English name: Roseanne Park
- Age: 24 years old as of 2021
- Height: 168 cm
- Nationality: Korean
- Favourite food: Kimchi stew
- Nicknames: Rosé. Rose, Pasta, Chaeng
- Position: Main vocalist, lead dancer
- Blood type: B
Did you know that Rosé was a cheerleader in Australia and also part of the choir? Maybe that is how she became aware of her singing talent. Her silky voice is not her only ace in music; she can also play the piano and guitar. On top of this, Rosé is also interested in drawing.
Rosé prefers being called her birth name, Chaeyoung when not on stage, which many fans find cute and adorable. If she were a guy, she would date Jennie from the group because of her remarkable cooking skills.
Aside from singing, Rosé has another extraordinary talent. She can sound as if she is speaking from a box. She calls this box language and does it without opening her mouth.
The left-handed, talented signer openly admits to not liking avocados, but she bought herself a soft avocado toy for no reason. Another exciting thing about Rose's personal life is that she has a habit of biting her fingers. She does this quite often, like when she is nervous, flustered, or surprised. Other times, she isn't even aware she is doing it.
If it weren’t for Rosé’s dad, she probably wouldn’t have been a Blackpink member. He suggested she goes to the YG Entertainment auditions, where she won and later became part of Blackpink.
Rosé has an older sister named Alice Park that took up law studies in Australia. Her parents prefer having only their daughter in the spotlight, so there is not much known about them. It is said that Rosé's father is a lawyer while her mother a businesswoman.
She grew up with two dogs, Max and Tobi. Additionally, Rosé takes care of two fish named Eunbyul and Joohwang (Orange). Eunbyul is a silver barb, while Joohwang is a blood parrotfish. Joohwang has multiple skills like following Rosé’s hand, getting high-fives, and jumping for food.
- Rosé is a full-blooded Korean, but she was born in Auckland, New Zealand.
- The talented Blackpink member grew up in Melbourne, Australia and studied at the Canterbury Girls Secondary College. She stands at 168 or 5’6’’ and is the tallest in the group.
- She auditioned for YG Entertainment in Australia and then moved back to Korea in 2012. Rosé was competing against approximately 700 opponents, and winning was an outstanding achievement in her life.
- Rosé started training with YG at only 15 years and underwent the program for four years and two months. She debuted with Blackpink at 19 years old.
- She was the first Blackpink member to reach one million likes on Instagram, along with Lisa. Other members have grown their social media following, but Rosé was the first to reach the most significant numbers.
Lalisa Manoban (Lisa)
- Birthday: March 27, 1997 (Aries)
- Birth name: Pranpriya Manoban
- Age: 24 years old as of 2021
- Lisa Manoban height: 166.5 cm
- Nationality: Thai
- Favourite food: French fries, Gamjatang (spicy pork)
- Nicknames: Liz, Pokpak, Lalice
- Position: Main dancer, sub-vocalist, lead rapper
- Blood type: O
Lisa does a lot of aegyo (acting cute), and other members agree that she is the best at it. She likes sleeping a lot and loves romantic and comedy movies. Another exciting thing about Lisa is that she loves sweet treats and drinks.
She knows how to play the guitar. During their trainee days, Rosé started teaching her how to play the instrument. On top of this, she is excellent at playing the ukulele.
Lisa loves photography, and she often takes photographs. Other members have confessed that she is good at it, so she often takes their photos.
Blackpink members say that Lisa has a different attitude when she is on stage and off stage. On stage, they describe her as mischievous and playful. The group members have given her many nicknames as it is easy to create some for her name.
Surprisingly, Lisa likes being called Oppa (older brother) despite it being a masculine term. She has a habit of adding ehe or eehee at the end of her sentences.
Like Jennie, Lisa is an only child, and her mother (now remarried) and biological father are separated. Lisa's stepfather, Marco Bruschweieler, is Swiss and is a certified master chef. He is part of the World Chef Organization.
Her father runs a culinary school in Bangkok and is one of the leading advisers to the Thailand Culinary Academy.
Unlike the other members, Lisa is a cat mom. She owns two cats, Leo and Luca, that live with her in Korea. Leo is a Scottish fold breed, while Luca is a Ragdoll cat breed. Leo was the newest pet addition to the Blackpink family. The pet’s arrival was celebrated in a V-live broadcast with members Jisoo and Rosé
- Lisa is the only non-Korean member of Blackpink. She hails from Bangkok, Thailand.
- What most people not know is that Lisa is not her birth name. She was initially named Pranpriya, and her friends called her Pokpak. She altered her name to Lisa after a fortune-telling session. Lisa means the one who is praised.
- In the K-pop industry, she is childhood friends with GOT7’s Bambam. Before being Kpop idols, Lisa and Bambam shared the same passion for dancing and were in the same group called We Zaa Cool.
- She auditioned for YG Entertainment in Thailand and was the only one who got accepted into training. Then, she was only 14 years old, and she flew to Korea to train. The training lasted almost six years.
- Despite not being Korean herself, Lisa is the most followed K-pop Idol on Instagram.
Do any of the Blackpink members speak English?
Jennie and Rosé are the best English speakers of the group as they both schooled abroad. Both of them even have a slight Australian accent when they talk. Jennie can even do a little bit of a British accent. Lisa can also speak English and keeps up with the two when doing English V-lives or interviews.
Jisoo can also speak some English but is shy to do so. Compared to the other Blackpink members who have experience abroad, Jisoo is the only one who spent her whole life in Korea; therefore, she might not be that confident about her English skills. According to Jennie, Jisoo understands English well.
English is not the only other language the members know. In fact, because of their line of work, they have become multilingual! Lisa, being Thai, knows the most languages, which are Thai, English, and Japanese. The rest of the members can speak English, Korean, and Japanese.
Blackpink members religion and beliefs
With the substantial influential grasp of the group, many are curious to know their faith and beliefs. Blackpink’s Rosé expressed her love of singing as part of a church choir. The Auckland born member is Christian and is a frequent church-goer. For Blackpink’s Jennie and Jisoo, there is not much information about their beliefs.
Lisa, on the other hand, is a Buddhist. Thailand is well-known for being a heavily Buddhist country, with about 90% of the population following Buddhism.
Blackpink net worth
Blackpink rose to fame in a short time with only a few tracks. They debuted on August 08, 2016, and it has only been a few years since their first album, Square One with tracks Boombayah and Whistle, was released. Now, celebrating their fifth anniversary, the stars have a long list of achievements.
Still, under YG Entertainment, the girls signed with Interscope Records and Universal Music Group in 2018 to promote their music outside of Asia. With the continuous expansion of their fanbase, the foursome is ready to take on the music world. They even collaborated with English singer Dua Lipa on the song Kiss and Makeup.
Judging from the girl’s lifestyles and all their achievements at hand, they make a pretty hefty amount a year. According to IBTimes, the group has a combined net worth of $34 million.
The wealthiest in the group is Lisa that has an approximate net worth of $10 million. Since she hails from Thailand, she can work with brands from her home country to earn more money.
Blackpink members boyfriends and dating ban
Being both beautiful and talented, it is no surprise that the Blackpink members are well-loved by Blinks (name of their fanbase). With all the fame and exposure, do the four girls have a dating history?
First of all, there are many rules to follow as an artist of YG Entertainment. YG artists are banned from drinking, smoking, clubbing, and even dating!
Dating bans are widespread when it comes to idol groups to avoid any scandals, negative rumours, and additional problems that may add stress to the artists. Jisoo had also mentioned before that male and female trainees even had different meal breaks in their trainee days to minimize contact with each other.
With these circumstances for the four gems of Blackpink, you would think that they were solely focused on their careers. Well, for most of them, that is the case, but for Jennie, she has been the centre of dating rumours in Blackpink.
Jennie and Kai
Despite the agency's strict no dating policy, Jennie was caught in a romance with EXO idol group-member Kai. When photos of the two were released by Dispatch, the Kpop world was in an uproar.
SM Entertainment, Kai's agency, was the first to release a confirmation on January 1, 2021, with the short statement 'Kai and Jennie have become fond of each other'. On the other hand, YG Entertainment dug a little deeper on the matter but later also gave their confirmation.
Unfortunately, the power couple's story did not have a happy ending. In January 2019, just after a month of dating, the two broke up. Although no official statement behind their separation has been announced, many theorize that the two put their careers before romance.
Jennie and G-Dragon
In February 2021, Dispatch reported that Jennie had been dating BIGBANG's G-Dragon for a year. The two famous personalities had collaborated in the 2013 song BLACK. Dispatch reported that Jennie would visit G-Dragon at his penthouse that has a private parking lot and elevator.
With the power of Blackpink and their supportive Blinks, they are slated to achieve amazing things in the future. With all this information, including Blackpink names, now you know what gives them the edge that makes them shine among the competition.
Their talent and individual personalities make Blackpink members distinguished and the remarkable group, plus their overflowing star quality.
The two bands have a fierce, never-ending competition even though they are both extremely successful and popular. How do they differ?