- A man who died from a motorcycle accident was declared by the hospital as a COVID-19 suspect
- Hospital personnel then proceeded to wrap the entire body of the victim with a packaging tape
- The remains of the man looked like a scene out of a horror “mummy” movie, causing great anger and distress to his family
- According to the Region II Trauma and Medical Center medical director, they have to treat it as a COVID case because of the upsurge of coronavirus infection cases in Quirino
A man who died from a motorcycle accident was treated as a COVID suspect and after which, hospital personnel proceeded to wrap his entire body, from head to toe, with packaging tape, making his remains look like a “mummy.”
With photos and videos of the man splashed across various media outlets, the family can’t help but express disappointment and anger toward those responsible for making their kin look like that.
According to GMA-7's 24 Oras, the man’s name is Merwin Fabrigas and that he had been involved in a traffic accident in an area in Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya.
The accident happened on April 30, after which he was rushed to the Region II Trauma and Medical Center in Nueva Vizcaya. Reports say he died the following day.
In a weird twist of events, hospital personnel proceeded to wrap his entire body in packaging tape, making the remains look like a mummy.
The practice of other hospitals is to place the body in a sealed bag to prevent any possible spread of infection, if the person is indeed COVID-positive.
“Masakit sa kalooban. Naghahagulgol na lang ako ng iyak doon. Ayaw ko sanang mangyari, nagawa niyong manok ang anak ko. Pero wala silang pakialam imbis na ‘yong anak ko sana sila na mag-asikaso… ganoon pa ang ginawa nila,” the victim’s mother, Mitchilou Fabrigas Sapipi said.
According to the Region II Trauma and Medical Center medical director, Dr. Napoleon Obaña, there is an upsurge of cases in Quirino, necessitating the need for such measures.
“May upsurge ng [COVID-19] cases in Quirino. So we want to safeguard also ang mga taga-Vizcaya. We have to treat it as parang COVID na rin dahil baka mag-infect eh. Baka magkalat ang infection,” Dr. Obaña said.
The Department of Health reported that COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the country despite government efforts to control it. In response to the ongoing pandemic in the country, the Philippine Government through the Department of Health, launched the COVID-19 vaccination program. The project is an ongoing immunization campaign against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19. While the arrival of the vaccine from China and from WHO’s COVAX facility provided a glimmer of hope, reports of thousands of new infections kept pouring in.
The wrath of coronavirus infection has engulfed the entire country in a health crisis of colossal proportions. Even well-known personalities and celebrities were not spared, with some of them succumbing to the deadly illness. Among them is veteran director, Toto Natividad, who passed away after suffering from complications brought about by COVID-19. In a GoFundMe page set up by his family, Natividad was diagnosed with severe COVID-19 pneumonia and acute renal failure. The Mayor of Navotas City, Toby Tiangco has made the announcement of Natividad's passing on his Facebook page as the director was also the barangay chief of North Bay Boulevard South NBBS Kaunlaran in Navotas City.
There is some good news though as recoveries continue to be reported. Last April 11, the Department of Health reported that the country experienced the highest number of recoveries in one day. DOH said that the recoveries on that date can be considered the highest so far.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!