17-year-old student who waded floodwaters, dies after leptospirosis infection in Navotas

17-year-old student who waded floodwaters, dies after leptospirosis infection in Navotas

  • A 17-year-old student from Navotas died from leptospirosis days before his 18th birthday
  • Justin Espinosa had reportedly been bitten by a rat before wading in floodwater
  • His condition worsened rapidly after he developed fever, weakness, and rashes
  • The DOH warned that leptospirosis cases could rise amid frequent heavy rains and flooding

MAKI-TINGIN KA NAMAN: Pwede ka nang mag-comment sa mga artikulo ng KAMI! Subukan mo, madali lang!

A 17-year-old student from Navotas died from leptospirosis after reportedly being bitten by a rat and later swimming in floodwater, with his family now mourning his death just days before his 18th birthday.

Photo: Pixabay
Photo: Pixabay
Source: UGC

The victim, identified as Justin Espinosa, was the son of Leilani and Allan Espinosa. According to a report by Gabriel Gonzales on Balitanghali, the teenager died only four days before his scheduled birthday.

Leilani said her son had previously suffered a rat bite on his foot. Two weeks later, Justin went into floodwater with some of his friends in Navotas.

He eventually developed symptoms associated with leptospirosis, including a high fever and rashes. His condition deteriorated quickly, prompting his family to bring him to a hospital.

Read also

Thea Tolentino, nagalit sa botanteng apelyido ang ginagawang basehan sa pagboto

Like and share our Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Share your thoughts in the comments. We love reading them!

“Tapos kinabukasan po ‘yun, nilalagnat na po siya. Nanghihina po 'yung katawan niya. Dinala po namin siya sa Navotas Hospital. 'Yung doktor po na nakausap namin, tingin pa lang po, alam na nila na leptos po,” Leilani said.

The family was shocked by how quickly the teenager's condition worsened.

“Nabigla rin kami sa pangyayari sa kaniya ngayon. Hindi namin akalain na aabot sa sakit niya. Dalawang araw lang bumigay na siya,” Allan said.

Meanwhile, Department of Health data showed 3,440 leptospirosis cases recorded as of August 8. The figure was 35% lower than the number reported during the same period in 2025, but health officials warned that cases could still increase.

“With the frequent heavy rain and habagat at mga bagyo, tataas pa ang ating leptospirosis [cases],” said Dr. Iftizar Haron, Chief Medical Professional Staff of San Lazaro Hospital.

The DOH advised people exposed to floodwater to seek medical consultation instead of taking medication without guidance, noting that doxycycline is not appropriate for everyone.

Read also

Buntis na aso, sugatan matapos umanong hampasin ng residente sa Bacolod

The department also said its facilities remain operational and adequately supplied, with 3.1 million doxycycline capsules available at the DOH Central Office and 17 Centers for Health Development.

It can be recalled that an educator who survived an earlier shooting at San Jose National High School in Tacloban previously shared the terrifying experience of being unexpectedly targeted by an armed student while class was ongoing. According to witnesses, the young attackers allegedly fired their weapons along school corridors before forcing their way into classrooms and attacking fellow students. Authorities confirmed the deadly outcome of the incident, with three people reportedly killed and several others injured. Investigators are also looking into claims from members of the community that prolonged bullying may have played a role in the alleged attack.

Meanwhile, the Department of Education previously described the separate incidents of violence reported in schools in Leyte and Cavite as isolated cases. The agency also rejected claims that the incidents reflected a growing nationwide trend of attacks inside educational institutions. In response, education officials ordered a comprehensive assessment of school security protocols to strengthen safeguards within and around campuses. Authorities are likewise coordinating with local police units to increase security presence and conduct regular patrols in school areas. Alongside these measures, the government is providing psychological first aid and counseling services to students, teachers, and other school personnel affected by the traumatic incidents.

Read also

Aljon Mendoza plans new documentary on Macabebe flood crisis after graduation

Bagong feature: Tingnan ang mga balitang para sa'yo ➡️ hanapin ang "Recommended for you" block at mag-enjoy!

Source: KAMI.com.gh

Authors:
Josh Medina avatar

Josh Medina (Editor)