- Even American officials have expressed their support for Rappler CEO Maria Ressa after she was found "guilty” of cyber libel
- Former US Senator Hillary Clinton said that Ressa was convicted for just doing her job as a journalist in the country
- She added that the attack on press freedom is also an attack on democracy
- National Democratic Institute chairperson Madeleine Albright also expressed her support for the Rappler CEO
- Earlier, Ressa and former researcher-writer Reynaldo Santos Jr. were found “guilty” of cyber libel
Former United States Senator Hillary Clinton has expressed her support for Rappler CEO Maria Ressa after the Manila court released its verdict over her cyber libel case.
KAMI learned that for Clinton, Ressa was convicted for doing her job as a journalist.
In a report by GMA News Online, the former US Senator said that the attack on press freedom is also an attack on the democracy of the country.
“Maria Ressa was convicted in the Philippines yesterday for doing her job. As Amal Clooney wrote, the message to other journalists is ‘Keep quiet, or you’ll be next,’” Clinton wrote on Twitter.
“We must fiercely protest attacks on the press. They are attacks on democracy,” she added.
Meanwhile, the National Democratic Institute chairperson Madeleine Albright also expressed her support for Ressa.
“I stand with Maria Ressa. #HoldTheLine #CourageON #DefendPressFreedom,” she said.
Amal Clooney, the wife of famous Hollywood actor George Clooney, joined the legal counsel of Ressa to defend the supposed attack on press freedom in the country.
In a previous report by KAMI, the Manila court found the Rappler CEO and former researcher-writer Reynaldo Santos Jr. “guilty” of cyber libel on Monday.
The case stemmed from private complainant Wilfredo Keng after Rappler published an article in 2012 that linked him to some illegal activities.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!