- Senior citizens have a vital role in our country's nation building
- There are many privileges and benefits entitled to senior citizens in the Philippines
- Some of these are 20-pecent discount on goods and services
PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see KAMI news on your News Feed
Older people have an important role in nation building. Aging can sometimes be hard for others. But sometimes, it has its perks. The senior citizens in the Philippines can enjoy many benefits, discounts and freebies given that you have a Senior Citizen’s ID and booklet.
KAMI has listed the all the steps on how to avail the Senior Citizen’s ID and all the privileges it come with as reported by Living & Loving Philippines and Money Max.
Who are eligible to have a Senior Citizen's ID?
Filipino citizens aging 60 years old and above can avail the Senior’s Citizen’s I.D and enjoy all the benefits as mandated by law according to RA 7432. There have been amendments made to RA 7432 as indicated in RA 9257 and RA 9994 or the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010.
Where and how to apply for a Senior Citizen's ID?
Only three requirements are needed:
1. Birth certificate
2. Recent 1x1 colored photo
3. Valid ID
After gathering the requirements, all these must be submitted to Municipal’s Office of the Senior Citizens Affair to apply for a Senior Citizen’s ID. Once submitted, the senior citizen will be asked to fill out the card and sign the ID. Usually, the ID will be released during the same day and it should be laminated.
What are the benefits of having a Senior Citizen's ID?
20% discounts and VAT exemptions
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medical and dental services in private facilities
- Professional feels
- Domestic sea and air fares (Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, etc.)
- Public land transportation fares (Jeepneys, buses, taxi, Grab, UV express, MRT, LRT, etc.)
- Hotels and restaurants
- Recreation centers and places of leisure
- Funeral and burial services
5% discount in some grocery stores (up to P1,300 per week)
- Rice, bread, and corn
- Chicken, beef, and pork (fresh, canned, and processed)
- Fresh eggs
- Coffee, creamer, and sugar
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Garlic and onions
- Cooking oil and salt
- Noodles, canned sardines, and canned tuna
- Fresh milk and other dairy products
- Electrical supplies, light bulbs, and batteries
- Geriatric diapers
5% utility discount (water and electricity)
Almost 50% discount in buffet restaurants (Manila Hotel, Vikings, Buffet 101, etc.)
PAY ATTENTION: Using free basics app to access internet for free? Now you can read KAMI news there too. Use the search option to find us. Read KAMI news while saving your data!
- Movie screening every Monday
- Parking in Quezon City Malls
- Medical, dental and vaccination in government hospitals
DSWD’s Social Pension Program for Indigent Senior Citizens (SPISC)
- A monthly pension of P500 or P6,000 a year
- To be qualified, a person must be at least 60 years old and do not have a
regular income or pension from SSS or GSIS
- To apply, one must head to the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) or Office of the Senior Citizens Affair (OSCA) and submit their Senior Citizen’s ID and certificate of indigency from CSWDO
- Members of SSS are entitled for a retirement pension given that they have paid at least 120 monthly contributions to the SSS prior to the semester of retirement
- They are also entitled for lumpsum amount for those who were not able to pay the 120 monthly contributions.
- The amount of pension will depend on the person’s contribution and credited years of service (CYS)
For more details, you may check it here.
Mandatory PhilHealth coverage
GSIS and PAG-IBIG benefits and privileges
Death benefits (minimum of P2,000)
Express/priority lanes (commercial and government establishments)
- Financial aids, grants or subsidies
- Books, uniforms and other learning materials
Tax exemption to minimum wage earners
Exemption from number coding scheme
How to compute senior citizen discount?
In order to compute the VAT exempt sales, divide the selling price by the VAT rate. Here is a sample computation:
Product Price: P300
VAT Rate: 12%
Formula: Selling Price ÷ VAT Rate = VAT Exempt Sales
Solution: P300 ÷ 1.12 = P267.86
Senior citizens are given a 20% discount on every goods and services. To compute for the discount, subtract the percentage by multiplying the VAT exempt sales by 20%.
Formula: VAT Exempt Sales x 20% = Senior Citizen Discount
Solution: P267.86 x 0.20 = P53.57
To know the billable amount, subtract the VAT exempt sales by senior citizen discount.
Formula: VAT Exempt Sales – Senior Citizen Discount = Billable Amount
Solution: P267.86 – P53.57 = P214.29
Always remember to bring the Senior Citizen's ID and its booklet!
Ang chili pepper prank ay handa na! Maaaring makatulong ang chili peppers sa isang tao na maging isang milyonaryo? Ang aming host ay sigurado na maaari nila! At ibabahagi niya ang kanyang lihim sa tagumpay sa chili pepper prank video na ito! – on KAMI HumanMeter Youtube Channel!