Philippines now on second wave of COVID-19 outbreak, DOH confirms

Philippines now on second wave of COVID-19 outbreak, DOH confirms

- The Department of Health (DOH) announced that the Philippines is now on the second wave of COVID-19 transmission

- Health Secretary Francisco Duque III confirmed this in a hybrid hearing with senators on Wednesday, May 20

- He said that the first wave happened some time in January when the country had detected three imported COVID-19 cases — all in patients from Wuhan City, China

- Duque, however, did not specify when the second wave of transmission began

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see KAMI news on your News Feed

The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday, May 20, confirmed that the second wave of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) transmission is now happening in the Philippines.

According to a report by GMA News, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in the Senate Committee of the Whole Hearing that the first wave of the outbreak happened in the earlier part of the year when imported cases were detected.

Duque told senators, "Actually nasa second wave tayo. 'Yung first wave nag-umpisa, batay po sa ating mga batikang epidemiologist, na ang first wave natin happened sometime in January—noong nagkaroon po tayo ng tatlong kaso ng mga Chinese nationals from Wuhan.”

PAY ATTENTION: Shop with KAMI! The best offers and discounts on the market, product reviews and feedback

The Health Secretary was referring to the first batch of infections detected in the country — all in patients from Wuhan City, China, where the outbreak started out.

"'Yun po ay kinikilalang first wave, maliit lang na wave ika nga. Pero ngayon nasa second wave tayo at ginagawa po natin ang lahat para nga ma-flatten 'yung epidemic curve," he added.

In a report by The Philippine Star, Duque said that the country has been facing a second wave of the virus' transmission since March.

PAY ATTENTION: Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!

KAMI previously reported that celebrities emphasized the danger of creating a second wave of COVID-19 infections that might be worse than the first wave. They also expressed frustration over Pinoys who went malling after the lifting of the enhanced community quarantine.

The coronavirus outbreak started out in Wuhan, Hubei Province of China. Scientists believed that the virus came from an animal at one of Wuhan's wet markets.

Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!

Watch our awesome hosts talk about romance amid the COVID-19 crisis in the Philippines! Check out all of the exciting videos and celebrity interviews on our KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!

Source: Kami.com.ph

Mailfire view pixel