The NBI clearance renewal procedures are convenient and straightforward. For any Philippine citizen or foreigner within the Philippines and abroad, who wishes to undertake the exercise, can do so with ease. Herein is the application procedure and requirements.
With the demand for this document on the high in almost all public sectors, there is the need that you possess an updated document. Even though the process is quite simple, many people still find it difficult to renew this document. There are various options for doing it, depending on where you are and other factors, you could opt for any.
An overview of the National Bureau of Investigation
The National Bureau of Investigation is an agency of the Philippine government under the Department of Justice. It is responsible for handling and solving major high-profile cases that are in the interest of the nation. Its director is a Presidential appointee who serves under the trust and confidence of the President and the Secretary of Justice (SOJ).
What is an NBI clearance? This is a critical document required whenever you apply for a job (in the Philippines or overseas), studying abroad, taking the civil service exam, or starting a business. Its purpose is to prove that you are a citizen in good standing and that you never messed up with the law.
The document is valid for one year from the date of issuance. After expiry, you will be required to renew if you want to use it. Fortunately, the NBI renewal procedure is simple and straightforward.
What are the NBI clearance requirements?
You only need two government-issued IDs when applying for an NBI clearance online. Any of the following valid IDs will do:
- PRC card
- Old copy of the National Bureau of Investigation clearance
- Postal ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Senior Citizen ID
- Police clearance
- PSA-issued birth certificate
- Voter’s ID
- PhilHealth ID
- TIN ID
- Driver’s license
It is important to note that you should only provide valid Identification documents that meet the following bureau requirements:
- Are original copy.
- Must be in good condition.
- Have a clear photo of the applicant.
- Have not expired.
How to renew NBI clearance Philippines
There are two options of how to renew the document. Depending on your preference, you can opt for any. Below are the two options of how to get NBI clearance.
a) The quick renewal service
It is a way of how to renew NBI clearance online. Unlike the regular process, the NBI renewal online process is more convenient though expensive. The following steps on how to renew NBI clearance online in the Philippines applies.
- Visit the NBI clearance website.
- In the "NBI clearance e-Services" section, go to the "NBI clearance Quick Renewal".
- Enter your NBI identification number, then click on the "Verify" button.
- Fill the online "Quick Renewal Delivery" form.
- Click on the "Next" button.
- Enter your birthdate.
- Pick the payment option you prefer (Bayad Center/MultiPay/ECPay).
- Read the directions in the reminder box that appears and click "Next".
- Write the reference number which appears, then click on the "Proceed" button.
- Visit the closest branch of the option of payment you chose.
- Use the reference number to pay the required fee
- Wait for the delivery of your new document.
Upon payment of the required fee, you will receive the document after five or fewer days.
b) The regular renewal process
Apart from the NBI clearance online application, you can as well renew the document via the walk in process, which is equally easy. It is the most common and preferred way of replacing the document. Even though the process requires physical representation at the offices, it is cheaper compared to the online procedure.
Ensure that you have a registered account, have made an appointment and paid the fee. The following steps on how to renew NBI clearance in the Philippines are applicable.
- Visit the National Bureau of Investigation centre on your appointment day with two valid IDs.
- Go to the "Biometric and Image Capture" section and provide the reference number.
- Your photo, digital signature, and fingerprints will get captured.
- Validate the information on the computer screen.
- Continue to the "Printing" section and then wait for the document.
How to renew NBI clearance from abroad
For Filipinos and foreigners outside the country, the step on how to renew NBI clearance if you are abroad is an area of interest. There are mainly two reasons why a person may want to know how to renew the document abroad. They include;
- An impending residence visa application.
- Foreigners who have lived in the Philippines and wish to return to their home countries.
The process of how to renew NBI clearance in Canada or any other country abroad involves the following two options.
a) With a representative
You could use a friend or a relative you trust in the Philippines to apply on your behalf. If you have a signed authorization letter, all you need to do is send it to them together with the requirements after an online appointment.
Send documents to the authorized person in the Philippines. They include;
- The old National Bureau of Investigation clearance.
- A letter of authorization.
- A 2×2 passport-sized photo.
- A copy of your passport.
Then follow the procedure below of how to renew NBI Clearance online.
- Make an online appointment. It is compulsory and can be done by either yourself or your authorized person.
- Submit the online application.
On the designated day, the authorized individual must physically present the required documents to the "Mail Clearance" section.
Other than your documents and authorization letter, the representative must also carry their ID. If you have made the payment to renew NBI clearance online, there is no need to pay the fee again.
After document verification, the officer-in-charge will give your authorized person a claim date. He will then return to the office to collect the document on that date.
b) Without an authorized representative
The procedure in this particular case is quite similar to the one above. However, unlike the previous one, where you need an authorization letter, this one does not require it because you will be sending the documents directly to the centre.
- Ensure that you have all the essential documents listed above. With a P220 money order or bank draft, the papers are sent via mail to the NBI centre building.
- Make an online appointment through the website.
- Wait for the document to be delivered to you.
How much is the NBI clearance renewal?
If you opt for NBI online application, it will require that you have P355. The breakdown is as follows.
- P130 as clearance fee
- P200 as delivery fee
- P25 e-payment service
The first step in all these processes is the NBI online registration. Once you are through with the registration, the other steps are pretty simple. Unlike the previous exercise that involved long queues, the current one has most steps automated and is thus fast and convenient. It also consumes less time.
How long will it take to renew NBI clearance?
If you are using the quick renewal process, it will only take three to five day. However, for individuals abroad, it is likely to take longer. It will take approximately twenty to thirty days.
It is so because the applicant has to email documents to the Philippines, and the authorized person will process them on their behalf.
Can I go directly to NBI without an appointment?
No! At the bureau, only those with appointments are attended to. Therefore, it is mandatory that you make an online appointment before visiting the offices.
Can you reschedule your NBI online appointment? If you have not paid the required fee yet, you are free to move the appointment date either earlier or later than what you had initially selected. However, you can no longer change the date of your NBI clearance appointment if you already paid the fee.
In case you have already paid but will not make it on your appointment date, the bureau will still give you another 15 days to proceed to the bureau's branch of your choice and complete your application.
There are different options of how a person can go about the NBI clearance renewal process. The steps may slightly vary depending on whether one is within the Philippines or abroad. A person could as well opt to use an online process or walk into their office. Nonetheless, all the steps here will ensure that, in the end, the person gets the document.
Kami.com.ph also published an article on the requirements for Police clearance. The procedure is convenient and straightforward. A police clearance in the Philippines is essential as it verifies if you have a criminal record or not.
Filipinos looking for employment, registering for a firearm, or making applications for a civil service exam must have the document. The article gives an insight into what you are required to have when applying for the document.