Tom Hanks is an award-winning American actor and filmmaker. He is popularly known for films and TV shows such as Forest Gump (1994), Cast Away (2000), Bosom Buddies (1980), and Band of Brothers (2001). For a long time, he has always been ranked among the highest-paid actors both in North America and the world. Recently, he was on the limelight over coronavirus infection, which intensely hurt his fans around the world.
At times, it is a challenge for most entertainers to stay relevant for a long time in the scene. Thus, most of them shine for a while before disappearing, not to be seen or heard again. This has not been the case to the legendary Tom Hanks. He has been gracing our screens with entertaining content for close to four decades now. What is the secret of his flourishing career?
Tom Hanks profile summary
- Real names: Thomas Jeffrey Hanks
- Date of birth: 9th July 1956
- Place of birth: Concord, California
- Age: 63 years old
- Zodiac sign: Cancer
- Parents: Amos Mefford Hanks, Janet Marylyn
- Spouse: Rita Wilson
- Kids: Four
- Field of work: Actor, filmmaker
- Years active: 1977-present
- Nationality: American
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks popularly known by his stage name as Tom Hanks, was born on 9th July 1956 in Concord, CA. He was born in a family of the late Amos Mefford Hanks. His mother, Janet Marylyn, was a hospital worker while his dad was an itinerant cook. He is not the only child of the two.
Similar to some celebrities, he developed an eye for acting from a tender age. In his childhood, he used to participate in school plays. This helped to shape his stage performance skills even before he got to college to study the same.
Tom had a troubled childhood because of his parent’s separation. However, that did not deter him from pursuing his dream, acting.
When he became of age, he decided to study Theatre. He took the course in an institution whose name has been identified as Chabot College in Hayward, CA. Two years, he transferred to California State University, Sacramento.
Tom Hanks age
Tom Hanks birthday happens on the 9th of July. At the moment, he is 63 years old. Some people believe that he looks too good for this age.
The Forest Gump actor comes from a famous family in North America. Like him, most of them are entertainers. Well, what else is ion the public about them?
Tom Hanks kids
Tom Hanks son, Colin Hanks, followed the footsteps of his dad. He is an actor known for films such as King Kong, Orange County, and The Great Buck Howard, among many others. The names of his other kids are Chester, Truman, and Elizabeth Ann Hanks. Similarly, Chester and Elizabeth are renowned thespians.
He is a brother to Larry, Jim, and Sandra Hanks. Unlike him, Larry is a professor and entomologist. On the other hand, Sandra is a writer, while Jim is an actor known for movies like Abnormal Attraction, Buford’s Beach Bunnies, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins among etcetera.
The actor is on record to have has been in two marriages. First, he married Samantha Lewes, who was his college sweetheart. The two were married for approximately nine years before calling it quits. The marriage resulted in the birth of two kids, Elizabeth and Colin.
Second, he married Rita Wilson. This was after he divorced his ex-wife in 1987. The lovebirds have been married for two decades now. Currently, Tom Hanks wife has been blessed with two kids, Chester and Truman.
Tom Hanks movies
Thomas is among the few talented actors who have been featured in countless films and television series. Since he made his breakthrough in a movie titled He Knows You’re Alone in 1980, he has appeared in notable films such as:
- Slash (1984)
- The Money Pit (1986)
- Dragnet (1987)
- The ‘Burbs (1989)
- The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
- A League of Their Own (1992)
- Philadelphia (1993)
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
- Forrest Gump (1994)
- Apollo (1995)
- That Thing You Do! (1996)
- Big (1988)
- Saving Private Ryan (1998)
- The Green Mile (1998)
- You’ve Got Mail (1998)
- Coast Away (2000)
- Catch Me If You Can (2002)
- Road to Perdition (2002)
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
- The Terminal (2004)
- The Lady Killers (2004)
- The Polar Express (2004)
- The Da Vinci Code (2006)
- The Ant Bully (2006)
- Charlie Wilson’s War (2007)
- Angels and Demons (2009)
- Where the Wild Things Are (2009)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Larry Crowne (2011)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)
- Cloud Atlas (20120
- Captain Philips (2013)
- Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
- Bridge of Spies (2015)
- Inferno (2016)
- Sully: Miracle on the Hudson (2016)
- A Hologram for the King (2016)
- The Post (2017)
- The Circle (2017)
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)
- Toy Story 4 (2019)
Tom Hanks net worth
Cast Away actor is among the highest-paid actors in the world. At the moment, he is worth $400 million. Most of his wealth is accrued from his film appearances and real estate business. Saving Private Ryan alone earned him $40 million in terms of salary.
Similarly, he owns a house whose value is approximated to be $20 million as of 2020. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson acquired a residence home worth $26 million in 2010 in Los Angeles.
Social media presence
The actor enjoys a massive following on social media. He often posts engaging content on his social media pages to keep his followers entertained. Below are the handles of his official social media pages:
Tom Hanks latest news
Early this month, he announced, through his social media pages, that he and his wife (Rita Wilson) had contracted a deadly illness, COVID – 19. At first, most of their fans and well-wishers could not believe the sad news. Even so, they took to different social media pages wishing the couple a quick recovery.
The two have been in quarantine for one week and some days now. They recently reported that their health has greatly improved since they moved into isolation. Tom Hanks coronavirus instance is still a shock to many people across the globe.
Tom Hanks awards
The actor has been honored with several awards since he entered the film scene. Some of them include:
- Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award – (2020)
- Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award for Lead Performance (2019)
- Presidential Medal of Freedom – (2016)
- Audie Award for History/Biography – (2016)
- People's Choice Award for Favorite Dramatic Movie Actor (2017, 2002, 1996)
- Kennedy Center Honors – (2014)
- Producers Guild of America Award for Best Long-Form Television – (2013, 2011, 2009)
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries or Movie (2012)
- TV Land Anniversary Award – (2012)
- TV Land Little Screen/Big Screen Star (Men) Award – (2007)
- Bambi - International Film – (2004)
- Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film – (2004)
- AFI Life Achievement Award – (2002)
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special – (2002)
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Chemistry – (2001)
- New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor – (2000)
- Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor – (2000)
- Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor – (2000, 1995)
- Academy Award for Best Actor – (1994 & 1995)
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – (1994)
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – (1989)
Tom Hanks is a legendary actor with a remarkable reputation in the film scene. The multiple award-winning actors has appeared in over 70 movies. He always has a secret charm that keeps his fans craving for more of his work.