- Residents of Southville 3 in Barangay Poblacion were surprised to see walls blocking the roads they usually use to go to the city proper
- At least three barriers, one of them is a concrete wall measuring several feet high, obstructing the entire width of the road
- The said road allow Southville 3 residents access to and from the Poblacion and city proper
- Poblacion barangay chairman Allen Ampaya said the Bureau of Corrections built the barrier
Residents of Southville 3 in Barangay Poblacion, Muntinlupa, woke up on what they thought was an uneventful Saturday, only to be surprised the road they use to go to the city proper is blocked by a permanent structure.
The Insular Prison Road provides Southville 3 residents an easy access from their homes to the city. It is located within the New Bilibid Prison Reservation.
Tensions rode high between BuCor personnel and Southville 3 residents who were unaware about the walls’ construction.
Muntinlupa Rep. Ruffy Biazon immediately rushed to the area and talk to BuCor personnel manning the area.
In an ambush interview, Biazon said that his position is that there is a law prohibiting road obstructions.
“But the BuCor also stressed their position in setting up those walls is for security reasons. What BuCor claims is that there are people from here (Southville) who are using these roads to do crimes inside the NBP Reservation,” Biazon said.
With the closure, Southville 3 residents are now cut off from their own city. In order to go to the city proper, they have to use the road that will take them through San Pedro City in Laguna, or Las Piñas, to enter Muntinlupa.
“It is like cutting them geographically to the City of Muntinlupa,” Muntinlupa Mayor Jaime Fresnedi said.
On Monday, Rep. Ruffy Biazon issued a statement that what BuCor did was illegal.
“That wall is illegal and is a nuisance as defined by Article 694 of the Civil Code as it obstructs and interferes with the free passage of a public highway or street,” the Muntinlupa representative said.
PAY ATTENTION: Don't miss the hottest Philippine news and celebrity gossip! Follow KAMI.com.ph on Twitter!
On March 19, Friday, Poblacion barangay chairman Allen Ampaya was informed by BuCor, through a letter from the office of the agency’s deputy director general for administration and operations, Gabriel Chaclag, that they have decided to shut down all paths to NHA-Southville 3. They are also doing the same to the route fronting Tower 8, which leads to the minimum security compound of the NBP. The letter further stated that only BuCor personnel and other government agencies transacting official business within the NBP reservation can use the road.
Calapan City Mayor says PNP Chief Debold Sinas displayed reckless behavior; must be held responsible
In 2019, President Rodrigo Duterte appointed Gerald Bantag as the new director-general of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor). While Bantag still faces 10 counts of murder charges, the President went ahead and appointed him anyway.
Last year, BuCor confiscated thousands of gadgets and contraband from inmates. The items that were confiscated including cellphones and laptops were destroyed by the officials. Aside from the gadgets, there were also tobaccos and cigarettes confiscated from the inmates. About a year ago, the BuCor made the headlines because of the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!