Choosing your college school or university is a significant life decision. You need to be careful about this aspect because you will be spending the next years of your life inside that institution. If you are an incoming college student or are planning to transfer to a new school, you might want to consider the Philippine Normal University.
The Philippine Normal University or PNU is a public research university in Manila, Philippines, established during the early days of American colonial rule.
Philippine Normal University
Philippine Normal University was initially called Philippine Normal School (PNS). It was the first-ever institution of higher learning established and was formally opened on September 1, 1901, during the American occupation of the Philippines. Mr Manuel Escarilla was the first Filipino superintendent.
On June 18, 1949, with the signing of the charter, Republic Act No. 416, PNS was converted to Philippine Normal College, and the four-year Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEE) program was introduced. The school was elevated to university status on December 26, 1991, under Republic Act No. 7168.
Philippine Normal University campus address
PNU has five branches: PNU Manila, PNU North Luzon, PNU South Luzon, PNU Visayas, and PNU Mindanao. Below is the Philippine Normal University address of each campus:
- The Manila Campus is the flagship and oldest campus of the university. It is located at 104, Taft Ave, Ermita, Manila, 1000 Metro Manila.
- PNU North Luzon is the hub for Indigenous Education. This is the third regional hub of the university, based in Cagayan Valley in the municipality of Alicia, Isabela.
- PNU South Luzon is the hub for Technology and Livelihood Education. This is the fourth regional campus of the university based in the CALABARZON region in the town of Lopez, Quezon.
- PNU Visayas is the hub for Environment and Green Technology Education. It is based in Cadiz City, Negros Occidental.
- PNU Mindanao is the hub for Multicultural Education. It is located at Prosperidad, Agusan del Sur.
Philippine normal university courses offered
Choosing the right program can help you set your future goals. PNU offers a wide range of courses you can choose from. Philippine University graduate school also provides a lot of programs.
So, here are the lists of the programs offered by PNU:
1. College (undergraduate) Programs
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Secondary Education (AB/BSE) Major in Literature
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education (BECEd)
- Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEEd)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
- Bachelor of Science in Biology for Teachers (BSBT)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry for Teacher (BSCT)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Communication and Technology Education (BSICTE)
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics for Teachers (BSMT)
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition & Dietetics for Teachers (BSNDT)
- Bachelor of Science in Physics for Teachers (BSPT)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BSP) - Guidance and Counseling Stream
- Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSE)
- BSE major in Biology
- BSE major in Chemistry
- BSE major in English
- BSE major in Filipino
- BSE major in General Science
- BSE major in Mathematics
- BSE major in Music Education
- BSE major in Physical Education
- BSE major in Physics
- BSE major in Social Science
- BSE major in Speech & Theater Arts
- BSE major in Values Education
2. Graduate Studies (post-graduate)
- Ed.D in Educational Administration
- MAEd major in Auditory Disabilities
- MAEd major in Bilingual Education
- MAEd major in Child Study
- MAEd major in Curriculum & Instruction
- MAEd major in Drama Education & Theater Arts
- MAEd major in Early Childhood Education
- MAEd major in Educational Management
- MAEd major in Educational Technology
- MAEd major in Elementary Education
- MAEd major in English Language Teaching
- MAEd major in Guidance and Counseling
- MAEd major in Health Education
- MAEd major in History Teaching
- MAEd major in Home Economics
- MAEd major in Intellectual Disabilities
- MAEd major in Intellectual Giftedness
- MAEd major in Library & Information Science
- MAEd major in Literature (English & Filipino Stream)
- MAEd major in Mathematics Education
- MAEd major in Measurement & Evaluation
- MAEd major in Multilingual Education
- MAEd major in Music Education
- MAEd major in Non-Formal Education
- MAEd major in Pagtuturo ng Filipino
- MAEd major in Physical Education
- MAEd major in Reading
- MAEd major in School Psychology
- MAEd major in Social Science Teaching
- MAEd major in Special Education
- MAEd major in Visual Disabilities
- Master in Educational Technology
- Master in Home Economics Education
- Master in Library and Information Science
- Master in Mathematics Education
- Master in Science Education
- Master of Arts in Library and Information Sciences
- Master of Arts in Linguistics
- Master of Arts in Science Education
- Master of Arts in Science Education major in Biology
- Master of Arts in Science Education major in Chemistry
- Master of Arts in Science Education major in General Science
- Master of Arts in Science Education major in Physics
- Master of Education in Child Study
- Master of Education in Drama Education & Theater Arts
- Master of Education in Educational Management
- Master of Education in Educational Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Education in Elementary Education
- Master of Education in Guidance & Counseling
- Master of Education in History Teaching
- Master of Education in Music Education
- Master of Education in Non-Formal Education
- Master of Education in Physical Education
- Master of Education in School Psychology
- Master of Education in Social Science Teaching
- Master of Education in Special Education
- Master of Education in Values Education
- Ph.D. in Bilingual Education
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D. in Educational Management
- Ph.D. in Filipino
- Ph.D. in Guidance and Counseling
- Ph.D. in Linguistics (Applied Linguistics Stream, Filipino Linguistics & Literature Stream)
- Ph.D. in Literature (English and Filipino Stream)
- Ph.D. in Mathematics Education
- Ph.D. in Reading Education
- Ph.D. in Science Education
Admission and application
PNU’s admission process entails the submission of the Philippine Normal University application and other requirements.
We have listed down Philippine Normal University admission and enrollment requirements you need to prepare for your registration.
Requirements for admission (undergraduate)
- Certified True Copy of Report Card with no failing grade in any subject
- Certification from the School Principal that the student is graduating from SHS
- Two copies 2x2 latest colored picture
- 350 pesos as payment for Philippine Normal University entrance exam fee
Requirements for enrollment (undergraduate)
- Original Senior High School Card/Honorable Dismissal
- Original Good Moral Certificate
- Original Copy of NSO Birth Certificate
- Diploma of SHS Certification/Graduation
READ ALSO: University of Makati courses, admission, facilities, careers, address (2020)
How much is the tuition fee in Philippine Normal University?
Philippine Normal University tuition fees range from 4,500 pesos to 24,000 pesos per semester. The tuition fee depends on the course of the student and his/her year level.
Additional details about PNU
Aside from the courses offered by the university as well as its tuition fee and admission process, the following features are must-know information if you are interested in enrolling in the institution.
The Philippine Normal University logo is considered to be the school's identity. Aside from the school's name, one can also find in the logo the year when it was established.
The words truth, excellence, and service also appear in the logo indicating the institution's commitments to quality education and excellence.
The Philippine Normal University uniform depends on the course the student is taking. Students are required to wear their proper uniforms when inside the vicinity of the school.
How to get to Philippine Normal University
There are many ways to get to Philippine Normal University. It could be via bus, train, taxi or car. The cheapest way to get from Cubao to PNU is through a bus traveling to Taft Avenue Manila. Unfortunately, there is no direct train between Araneta Center–Cubao LRT Station and Philippine Normal University. Still, there are services departing from Cubao MRT and arriving at Paco via EDSA/Magallanes.
If you have questions or inquiries, we have listed down below the contact details of each campus.
Philippine Normal University email address
- PNU Manila: email@example.com
- PNU North Luzon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PNU South Luzon: email@example.com
- PNU Visayas: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PNU Mindanao: email@example.com
Philippine Normal University contact number
- PNU Manila: (03) 317-1768 loc. 753
- PNU North Luzon: (078) 662-8016
- PNU South Luzon: (042) 717-4008
- PNU Visayas: (034) 493-0265
- PNU Mindanao: (085) 343-7782
Aside from the mentioned contact details above, one can also visit the Philippine Normal University website for other details.
Philippine Normal University is indeed a commendable school. It is the kind of institution where your talents, capabilities, skills, and characters will be honed.
READ ALSO: Rizal Technological University courses, admission, tuition fee, address (2020)