As spring sets in, many gardeners ask: "When will we plant a tomato in 2020?" This vegetable is considered one of the most popular among summer dwellers and is planted in the open ground well before other crops. It is advisable to prepare the ground in advance, as tomatoes are rather demanding plants. Let's work together to figure out when to plant tomatoes in 2020 is best.
When to plant tomatoes in 2020
When to plant tomatoes in 2020? Terms depend on various factors: region of residence and the variety chosen. For example, if you live in the south, you will be living earlier, the north, and later. We will look at a number of options to help understand the issue.
When to plant tomatoes this year in a flat:
- early outdoor tomatoes in early April taped in the second half of March;
- tall vegetables in glasshouse conditions in late March; low varieties in early or mid-April;
- large tomatoes in early March.
These recommendations are specially designed for residential environments and growing vegetables on window sills. Experts advise not to rush to land because the city is dark and stuffy, even on windows.
When to plant tomatoes for a plant in your garden:
- provided the soil is sufficiently warm, greenhouses grow tomatoes from mid-April (April 15, 16, 17, as well as 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18 May);
- in the open ground under the envelopes or non-woven sheets produce tomatoes from May (May 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 May);
- without shelter, we grow vegetables after June 10.
Here's when to plant tomatoes according to the lunar calendar:
March 7, 10, 15, 16;
April 6, 7, 11, 12, 17, 18;
May 2, 3, 8, 9, 15, 18.
Do you want to get a good crop? Note not only the sowing calendar but also some helpful tips.
First, pick seeds and soil before planting tomatoes. Just before planting, it is important to understand what land is best suited to planting.
Pick a light, moisture-intensive, and breathable soil. The optimum composition is a combination of equal proportions of turf, peat, and peat.
If you don't have time to prepare your own soil mixes, buy soil from a specialized market. Normally, such a product has all the necessary elements for decontamination. Choose soil specifically for tomatoes, tomatoes, or vegetables.
Seed preparation is an equally important part of the tomato growing process. If they are fresh and purchased in a shop, pre-sowing activities consist of a minimum set of actions. Often the packages say that the seeds are fully ready for use. With their seeds, there's a lot more work to be done:
- Soaking before pecking.
Experienced gardeners do not advise to seed seedlings early, to allow the plant to approach and grow into a bed. Our time-frame is that vegetables have to stay at home for about 60 days. Additionally, a week is given for sprouting after sowing. In the future, this is down to how tomatoes are grown in greenhouse conditions or open soil without protection.
Now you know when to plant tomatoes in March and the rest of the spring months. Sticking to the above-mentioned recommendations, it will be possible to grow healthy and juicy vegetables that will please the natural origin and pleasant taste.
How to plant tomatoes correctly
There is nothing supernatural about planting tomatoes. This task can be done by experienced gardeners as well as beginners. The key is to stick to the rules and it will work.
How to plant tomatoes: Rules
So, planting tomato seeds in an apartment setting is convenient using tweezers:
- spread seeds in a compacted ground at a distance of 1 cm apart;
- sprinkle the seeds 0.5 cm to 1 cm and water from a sprayer;
- cover crops with polyethylene film;
- place the blender in the warmest place in the house, even without sunlight.
When the first shoots appear, remove the film and place the seedling on the windowsill.
Tomato cultivation in the apartment presupposes full-fledged lighting. If the windows look north or northwest, you will need to buy special lamps for additional lighting.
A lot of light will be required in the opening of the seedbeds to create a clear development program as the plant grows. When there is not enough lighting, more leaves, not buds, will form. Eventually, the fruit will be delayed, as the next leaf will appear after 5 or 6 days.
How to plant tomatoes:
When it's time to plant a tomato, peat tablets are considered to be another convenient way to plant. They are made from pressed peat to which the beneficial ingredients for plant development are added. This composition helps to grow seedlings without the use of fertilizing.
Using such a technique when planting tomatoes is disadvantageous, but it is very practical:
- the tablets are placed in a large vessel (basin or food box) and filled with water;
- the water is absorbed and the tablet height is increased a few times;
- the seeds are put into holes, filled with soil and watered;
- the container is covered with a towel or foil and kept warm until it appears;
- the seedlings are watered by simply pouring water into the pot.
A budget and easy way to grow tomatoes without using soil. In this case, the substrate is ordinary toilet paper. This technique allows you to bring certain crops into your garden, but with tomatoes you'll need to dive into pots of soil mix.
The sowing technology on paper:
- cut a large plastic container lengthwise;
- put several layers of paper at the bottom of one of the halves;
- place wedged tomato seeds between the layers (a distance of no less than 2 · 3 cm); moisten the workpiece with water, wrap it in clingfilm, and put it in a warm place.
Once the unformed fruit is available, the temperature is lowered. The film is made for that. After three days, the degree is raised again, and in the end, the seedlings are transplanted into pots or wooden boxes with soil.
Tomatoes can be grown in single-use films. This will require:
- pour a small layer of soil and layout on the edge of the grain of tomatoes;
- roll the workpiece into a kind of snail shell;
- put the mini-garden in an upright position, cover with cellophane, and wait for shoots.
After the leaves appear, we transplant the tomatoes in the usual way.
Another way to plant tomatoes is to use a film to create disposable containers. Polypropylene has higher strength and is easy to deform, and the film from it is breathable. Such material is much better suited for making pots than ordinary polyethylene.
When growing tomatoes, keep in mind plant dipping. This is a very important and desirable step for producing good harvests.
Hours before transplanting, the seedlings are heavily watered. New pots are made with the help of a pencil to make an opening where the blanks are placed. Don't worry if the grains get picked up with or without a scrap of land: tomatoes quickly adapt to the new location.
Push the root in the center before moving the seedlings into the hole. The seedling should be planted so that the seed leaves are located directly above the earth's surface.
To avoid the hollowness in the soil, the seedlings are easily pressed up with their fingers, watered, and placed in the semi-shade for 2-3 days. After that, the pot is brought back to its normal location with standard lighting and temperature.
Plant tomatoes after planting cabbage, pumpkin, cucumbers, courgettes, carrots, beets, etc. It is prohibited to plant tomatoes after potatoes, eggplant, peas, and peppers. It is possible to plant different varieties of tomato together. But first, sow the mustard when you have your first harvest. Now you know that growing tomato seedlings is easy.
As well, you know when to plant tomatoes. There are far more adventurous plants that require special care, effort, and resources. And with tomatoes, it's easy and simple. Finally, it is nice to know that bright and juicy fruits have emerged from a tiny grain.