Puto has always been a favourite among the Philippines. It’s comfort food that is also very healthy. If you know how to prepare the snack, then it becomes a favourite because it takes a short time to prepare, and it is easy to make. If you do not know how to prepare the snack, find a good puto recipe, and follow the instructions provided.
Puto has always been a favourite among Filipinos. You can easily make the snack in your kitchen. We will provide recipes to teach you how to cook puto.
How to make puto
Making this snack at home is very easy. The snack can be made from scratch in less than an hour. We have prepared different kinds of puto recipe to teach you how to make the snack.
READ ALSO: Sizzling bulalo recipe: step-by-step with visuals
Cheese puto recipe
We have prepared this puto recipe using all purpose flour, cheese, among other ingredients.
It should be noted that puto cheese is also referred to as soft puto. This implies that when you are requested for a soft puto recipe, you should provide the recipe below.
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- An egg
- 1/4 evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Mix the wet ingredients; egg, evaporated milk, butter, vanilla and water.
- Add the wet ingredients over to the dry ones.
- Mix until there are no lumps felt.
- Grease the molds with butter then pour 3/4 of the mix in the molds.
- Put the molds in the steamer.
- Add a strip of cheese in each before steaming if one is using the regular cheese so that it melts.
- If one is using the melted cheese, put the cheese after puto is cooked and steam it for a minute
- Cover the putos and steam for 10 minutes under low heat.
- After a minute, remove the putos from the steamer, allow them to cool.
Puto recipe rice flour
The snack was traditionally made with rice flour. There are different ways that people prepare it. We will offer a simple version for you to make soft and delicious rice flour puto.
- 4 cups of rice flour.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- 3 tablespoons baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2 cups of water.
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) of coconut milk.
- Non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift and mix rice flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add coconut milk and water to the mix. Stir the mixture until it is perfectly blended.
- Cover the mixture with a film and refrigerate it overnight.
- Prepare your molds by spraying non-stick cooking.
- Pour the mixture to each mold until its ¾ full.
- Put the mixture in the steamer and allow it to steam for 15 minutes.
- Verify the putos are ready by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean then it means they are ready.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the putos from the mold and serve.
Special puto recipe
The recipe is referred to as special because its ingredients offer a cheese-sweet, salty, and savoury taste.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (not melted).
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or rice flour.
- 1 teaspoonful baking powder.
- 5 tablespoons of sugar.
- 3/4 cup of milk.
- 4 egg whites.
- Slices of quick melt cheese.
- The flavour of choice.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Mix your cream butter with the sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until peaks start to form.
- Add sugar to the eggs and continue beating until you notice stiff peaks.
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture and stir until they are perfectly blended.
- Add the flavour of your choice and stir the mixture.
- Clean and dry your muffin pans or molds.
- Pour the mixture to each mold until its ¾ full.
- Add the cheese slices on the top of each mold.
- Put the molds in the steamer and allow them to steam for twenty minutes.
- Remove from the steamer to enable cooling.
Puto cake recipe
The cake differs from the rest because of its ingredients and the method used in its preparation.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup of sugar.
- One tablespoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- 1/2 cup sugar.
- Three pieces of salted eggs.
- One 227-gram block cream cheese, sliced.
- Sugar, for sprinkling.
- One teaspoon salt.
- 1 1/2 cups water.
- One teaspoon vanilla flavouring.
- Eight large egg whites.
- Sift and mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a clean mixing bowl.
- Add water and vanilla flavour to the mixture and stir to make sure they are well mixed.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until it forms soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar to the eggs and continue beating the eggs until the meringue stage.
- Pout out the meringue in three stages as you stir.
- Stir the mixture until its well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin.
- Add cream cheese and salted egg to the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of the cheese and egg.
- Put the mixture in the oven and allow it to bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Allow cooling before serving.
Nutritional facts of the snack
Here are the nutritional calculations in each serving of puto:
- Puto calories: 238
- Total fat: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 29.7mg
- Protein: 4.5gm
- Sugars: 21.9gm
If you want to enjoy the Philippines culture, you should start by having a puto. This snack is delicious and easy to make. If this is a new dish to you, go through the puto recipe discussed for a good result.
READ ALSO: How to make siomai: 5 best recipes