Do you remember the Irish pop vocal group, Westlife? Did they decide to pack it in, or do they still have plans for the year 2020? Westlife members topped the pop charts selling over 50 million records worldwide with a throbbing 14 UK number one hits. Originating from Sligo and Dublin in Ireland, this boy band is marked as one of the most successful groups within the last two decades. The Westlife members mark started back in 1998 and the legacy lives on to date.
The original Westlife members list consisted of five members. These Westlife members names are Shane Filan, Markus Feehily, Kian Egan, Nicky Byrne, and Brian McFadden.
Wondering why the word “consisted” is in the past tense? This clearly indicates that there is a change in the number of the original Westlife members. Are there any Westlife members dead or that have left the group?
READ ALSO: GFRIEND members profile: name, age, height, facts
Westlife members profile summary
Let us have a look at the summary of the Westlife members biography:
- Name: Shane Filan
- Date of birth: 5th July 1973
- Height: 5ft 9in
- Hobbies: Riding horses
- Pets: German shepherd
- Favorite song: I believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly
Fun facts about Shane Filan
- After the group disbanded, he released three solo albums: You and Me (2013), Right Here (2015), and Love Always (2017)
- Shane’s mother had complications during her pregnancy, which led to Shane being almost miscarried twice
- He is the youngest of six siblings: three sisters and three brothers
- He is a cousin-in-law to Kian Egan, a fellow Westlife member since he married Kian’s cousin Gillian.
- Name: Mark Patrick Feehily
- Date of birth: 28th May 1981
- Height: 5ft 11in
- Hobbies: Tennis and football
- Pets: A black labrador
- Favorite song: Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson
Fun facts about Mark Feehily
- In 2015, Mark went on a solo career to release Love is a Drug, which was his debut single
- Mark Feehily publicly declared that he was gay in August 2005. He was dating Kevin McDaid, a photographer.
- Mark Feehily was engaged to Cailean O’Neill in The Maldives during a romantic getaway
- Layla is the daughter of Mark Feehily and his fiancé Cailean O’Neill who they got via a surrogate.
- Name: Kian Egan
- Date of birth: 29th April 1980
- Height: 5ft 8in
- Hobbies: Working out and playing instruments like guitar, piano, drums, and clarinet
- Pets: Had a cat but it died
- Favorite song: Baby one more time by Britney Spears
Fun facts about Kian Egan
- Kian Egan’s middle name is ‘John Francis’
- Kian Egan is a Roman Catholic when it comes to religion
- He is the fifth of seven siblings and the cousin to Gillian Walsh, who is Shane’s wife
- Kian’s mum was his mentor, especially during poetry competitions in Sligo.
- Name: Nicky Byrne
- Date of birth: 9th October 1978
- Height: 5ft 9in
- Hobbies: Playing football and snooker
- Pets: Dog (unfortunately it ran away)
- Favorite song: Flying without Wings by Westlife
Fun facts about Nicky Byrne
- When it comes to football, Nicky Byrne represented the Republic of Ireland at junior levels and played for Leeds United in the ’90s
- In 2012 after the band disbanded, he participated in Strictly Come Dancing, where he came in ninth place
- His full names are Nicholas Bernard James Adam Byrne
- Nicky Byrne Snr, who is Nicky Byrne’s father, died in Dublin of a heart attack in his workplace.
- Name: Bryan Mcfadden
- Date of birth: 12th April 1980
- Height: 6ft 1in
- Hobbies: Football
- Pets: Shih Tzu
- Favorite song: Something Stupid by Frank Sinatra
Fun facts about Bryan Mcfadden
- Brian McFadden signed with Universal Music Australia in 2008 and managed to release three albums
- After leaving the group, he signed to Sony BMG, which is a major record label
- He released his debut solo single ‘Real to Me’ in September 2004, which became a No.1 single in Ireland, Denmark, Norway, and Britain.
Westlife members before and after
After the band parted ways, Shane had some financial difficulties after making a few bad property investment decisions that led to his bankruptcy. The now 38-year-old, was hooked up with a solo deal by manager Louis Walsh that enabled him to get his finances back in order.
Who is this Westlife members wife? He was lucky to marry his childhood sweetheart, Gillian Walsh, who gave birth to two sons and a daughter.
Mark Feehily went back to his original name Markus. He broke up with his fiancé Kevin McDaid in 2011 after a six-year relationship. The now 37-year-old runs his own catering business and went back to music in 2015 when he released his debut single Love Is A Drug.
One of the members that have had a successful journey since the band disbanded is Kian Egan. He got married in 2008 to the famous English actress and singer Jodie Albert. The now 37-year old is a coach and mentor on ‘The Voice’ Ireland. He released his debut album ‘Home’ in 2014.
After the disbanding of the band, Nicky Byrne signed up for Strictly Come Dancing and came position six in the competition. After that, he went to work as a TV and radio presenter, after which he released his debut single Sunlight in 2016. Like his fellow Westlife member Shane, he married his teenage sweetheart Georgina Ahern. They have two sons (twins) and a daughter.
Brian McFadden was the first to go solo when he left the other members in 2004 to pay attention to his solo career. He is the answer to the question of whether there are any Westlife members dead after he was pronounced “dead and gone” in the minds of his former teammates.
Brian went on to be a judge on Australia’s Got Talent in 2010. Brian has two children from a previous marriage with Atomic Kitten singer Kerry Katona. He later dated Delta Goodrem, an Australian singer and actress. However, they split in 2011, after which he married Vogue Williams and parted ways in 2015.
What is quite interesting with the Westlife members height is that Brian McFadden was the only one who is 6ft, yet the remaining members in the boy band were all 5ft.
Where are the Westlife members now?
Other than Brian McFadden, the other four Westlife members today are planning for a UK summer tour beginning in Norwich on 19th June 2020 and ending in London Wembley Stadium on August 22nd 2020. With the Westlife members age ranging between 47 – 39, you find that a lot has changed since they were hitting the top of charts in their 20’s.
The fans seem to be more excited about the tour than the band itself. The fans will be a mixed group of both the old and new members. These fans are prepared to have an awesome experience gauging from the group’s successful tour in 2019 that left their fans wanting more and more.
Despite Westlife members disbandment in 2012, the group came to realize the power they still hold in the entertainment industry, giving them another chance to prove themselves. Even with the absence of Brian McFadden, the group has guaranteed more exciting tours that will take their fans adrenaline to another level.
READ ALSO: Hashtag members profile: names, age, height