Filipina OFW confirmed dead in Hong Kong high-rise fire

Filipina OFW confirmed dead in Hong Kong high-rise fire

  • One Filipina OFW, identified as Maryan Pascual Esteban, was confirmed dead in the Tai Po high-rise fire in Hong Kong
  • Philippine officials visited the bereaved family, assuring them of full government assistance
  • The OFW’s 10-year-old son expressed his dream of becoming a firefighter to prevent future fire-related deaths
  • At least 70 of the 83 Filipinos living in the affected buildings have been confirmed safe

MAKI-TINGIN KA NAMAN: Pwede ka nang mag-comment sa mga artikulo ng KAMI! Subukan mo, madali lang!

A Filipina domestic worker was confirmed dead following the massive fire that struck several high-rise buildings in Tai Po, Hong Kong, earlier this week.

Photo: Pixabay
Photo: Pixabay
Source: UGC

The Philippine Consulate General (PCG) shared the news on Saturday night, noting the deep loss felt by the community.

"With great sadness, the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong confirms the passing of an overseas Filipino worker from the Tai Po fire incident," the consulate wrote in a statement.

It added that she had made countless sacrifices for her loved ones back home.

Read also

Female passenger in critical condition after SUV slams into hospital gate

Like and share our Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Share your thoughts in the comments. We love reading them!

The PCG expressed its grief and support to those mourning the loss.

The statement said: "The Consulate General extends our heartfelt condolences to her family, friends, and loved ones at this trying time."

By Sunday, the consulate formally identified the victim as Maryan Pascual Esteban.

Top Philippine officials, including Department of Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration Administrator PY Caunan, visited the victim’s family to offer assistance. Cacdac said the government would extend its "fullest assistance" to support them during this painful period.

Cacdac also shared a touching moment with the victim’s 10-year-old son.

"We assured the 10-year-old son of our dear OFW that her mother lives in his heart forever, and would want nothing more than have him finish his studies," he said.

The young boy shared that he hopes to become a firefighter "para wala na pong mamatay sa sunog."

Read also

Filipina caregiver in ICU after saving employer and baby in Hong Kong high-rise fire

In another message, Cacdac honored the OFW’s bravery.

"May the soul of our dearly departed OFW, a heroine who died while taking care of her employer’s five-year-old daughter, rest in God’s eternal embrace," he said.

According to Consul General Romulo Victor Israel Jr., 70 of the 83 Filipinos residing in the affected buildings have been confirmed safe, while 23 were reported affected by the blaze.

In Digos City, the police chief has been officially identified as a Person of Interest in the death of Barangay Captain Oscar Bucol Jr. He was promptly removed from his position to maintain fairness in the investigation, particularly because he had previously engaged in public disputes with the victim. As the probe expands, about two dozen personnel from the Digos City Police Station have already been subjected to paraffin tests. Authorities have also announced a P2-million reward—contributed by Vice President Sara Duterte and Governor Yvonne Cagas—for any information that could lead to the identification and arrest of those responsible.

Read also

Janella Salvador shares heartwarming ‘core memory’ after Klea Pineda flies her and son Jude

Meanwhile, in a separate case, a New Bilibid Prison employee was taken into custody after attempting to sneak illegal dr&gs into the penitentiary. The suspected methamphetamine was hidden inside dough and placed beneath several pieces of pandesal. Her arrest prompted authorities to search the cell of an inmate she frequently visited, where they found 33 additional packets of the same substance. The Bureau of Corrections said the staff member will face charges under the Dangerous Dr&gs Act, along with swift administrative action for her termination.

Bagong feature: Tingnan ang mga balitang para sa'yo ➡️ hanapin ang "Recommended for you" block at mag-enjoy!

Source: KAMI.com.gh

Authors:
Stacy dela Fuente avatar

Stacy dela Fuente (Editor)