- On Wednesday, March 1, the bill calling for the re-imposition of death penalty in the Philippines gets its second House approval
- Incidentally, this eventful leap for the death penalty bill happened on the same day that Catholics begin their 40-day period for repentance and spiritual cleansing
- This approval of the bill, says House justice committee chair Rey Umali, is a glimpse of how the majority "will treat the bill."
As the bill seeking for capital punishment for arrests seven types of drug-related arrests awaits its third reading scheduled for the next week, let us revisit some of the epic fail moments related to death penalty in the country.
1. A busy phone line led to a one-minute difference in life and death
In January 25, 1999, convicted r^pist Eduardo Agbayani ended up dead, because his forgiveness came a minute too late. He was forgiven by his three daughter right before he was supposed to be executed but the call came a little too late.
READ ALSO: Senator Leila de Lima's handwritten letter to her loved ones after her arrest goes viral
2. The founder of the notorious Guillotine Club, an alleged pro-death penalty judges' club of the Philippines, handed out what may have been a judicially erroneous sentence to Leo Echegaray.
One of the 15 judges who approved Echegaray's execution admitted that the sentence dished out by Quezon City judge Maximiano Asuncion had been a judicial error because the law says that "capital punishment for r^pe perpetrated by the common-law spouse of the parent of the victim, a qualifying circumstance which was not alleged in the complaint."
READ ALSO: This baby hears a lion roar for the first time and his reaction is priceless!
3. A minor was once executed, though at the time, he was no longer considered a minor.
The notorious Macial "Baby" Ama was only 16 years old when he was executed via electric chair in 1961. Known for staging the biggest jail riots in Philippine history which killed a total of nine inmates, Baby Ama was sentenced to death because he stabbed a man to death during the riot.
READ ALSO: This Filipina went viral after sharing the difference between dating a Pinoy and a foreigner!
RELATED: Watch Kendra wow her dad Doug Kramer by translating English Bible verse into Chinese!