- Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio offered non-war options to win against China
- Carpio mentioned that creativity and resourcefulness should be used to protect what’s for Filipinos
- He added that the government should not let China take what is supposed to be for the Philippines
Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio came up with "many" suggestions as to how the Philippine government could win over China regarding the enforcement of the West Philippine Sea (WPS) arbitral ruling.
KAMI learned that Carpio urged Filipinos to use “creativity” and “resourcefulness” in defending and protecting what belongs to Filipinos.
"We cannot adopt a defeatist attitude and just sit idly by and let China seize what international law has declared to be our own Exclusive Economic Zone," Carpio said.
"We must use our creativity and resourcefulness to defend and protect, through the rule of law, what belongs to the Filipino people – the present generation of Filipinos and the generations of Filipinos still to come," he added.
Here are the suggestions of Carpio, as reported by the ABS-CBN News:
- Enter into a convention with Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei, which have conflicting territorial claims over the South China Sea
- File an extended continental shelf claim in the West Philippine Sea beyond Manila's 200-nautical EEZ off the coast of Luzon
- Patrol the West Philippine Sea with 10 new multi-role response vessels donated by Japan
- Encourage the Freedom of Navigation and Overflight of naval powers like the US, UK, France, Australia, Japan, India, and Canada in Philippine waters
- Invite Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei to conduct joint freedom of navigation operations in their respective EEZs
- Support private sector initiatives to enforce the arbitral award
Earlier, President Rodrigo Duterte said that China will continue to fish in the country’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ). The President reiterated that the Philippines "can never win a war against China.”
In a previous reported by KAMI, Carpio said that the Philippine government cannot allow China in the EEZ because it is “unconstitutional.”
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Tricky Questions: Hugis Puso, Kulay Ginto, Mabango Kung Amuyin, Masarap Kainin! Ordinary Pinoys gave hilarious answers to our tricky questions – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!