- 1-PACMAN party-list Rep. Michael “Mikee” Romero is planning to file the “Eddie Garcia Law”
- The main objective of the law is to safeguard the well-being and welfare of the actors
- It would be the first bill of Romero in the 18th Congress
1-PACMAN party-list Rep. Michael “Mikee” Romero, the stepson of late veteran actor Eddie Garcia, shared on Monday that he has been planning to file a bill regarding what happened to the late actor.
KAMI learned that the bill would be called “Eddie Garcia Law” or “Actors’ Occupational Safety and Health Standards Act.”
In a report by the PTV News (author Mela Lesmoras), the main objective of the proposed measure is to enhance the protection of the well-being and welfare of the actors in the entertainment industry.
“The "Eddie Garcia Bill" will be a means to safeguard the welfare and well-being of all actors working in the television and/or in the movie industries,” he said.
Romero mentioned that it would be his first bill in the upcoming 18th Congress. He was also asking for the support of his colleagues to pass the measure.
TV host and Senate President Tito Sotto is expected to file the counterpart of the bill in the Senate.
Here are the main points of the proposed law:
- Mandatory Actors and Production Insurance coverage
- Specific Working Hours for (8-12 hours maximum): Below 18 years old, 18-59 years old, 60 years old and above (Senior Citizen)
- Medical Safety Procedures on production set and within its area of responsibility
- Mandatory Installation of Safety Officers within its area of responsibility
- Emergency Standards and Procedures
- Penalties and Liabilities for Violation
In a previous report by KAMI, Garcia passed away on June 20 after being in comatose for almost a week. The late legendary actor suffered from a cervical fracture after falling during his tapping in GMA Network teleserye.
Mikee Romero is the son of Lilibeth Romero, the long-time partner of Garcia.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Prank: Free Money! Catch It, If You Can! Money is such a crazy thing: here today, gone tomorrow! Right? Check out all of our videos – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!