- Doc Willie Ong shared some knowledge about tetanus or “tetano”
- He said that if left unattended, wounds could have tetanus infection
- Doc Willie added that tetanus could be fatal
Health expert and senatorial aspirant Doc Willie Ong explained the harmful effects of tetanus or “tetano.” KAMI learned that having tetanus could be fatal.
According to a Facebook post of Doc Willie, a bacteria called “Clostridium tetani” causes tetanus infection. The bacteria usually enter the body through open wounds. Therefore, it is necessary to clean any wounds as soon as possible to lower the chance of tetanus infection.
“Nakikita ang nasabing bacteria sa lupa at maduduming lugar,” Doc Willie wrote.
“Puwede itong umabot sa hirap ng paghinga, pagkabit sa isang ventilator at pagkamatay,” he added.
The health expert noted the symptoms of tetanus include the following:
- Fever and sweating
- Spasms of the jaw or lockjaw
- Stiffness of neck and muscles (e.g.: lips, stomach, other parts of the body)
- Difficulty of swallowing
- Sensitive to noise
Doc Willie also gave tips on how to deal and prevent tetanus such as:
- To prevent tetanus infection, get vaccinated or booster dose every 10 years
- Do not ignore any wounds or burns most especially when caused by accidents and rusty metal
- For first aid, immediately wash the wounds with clean water and soap
- Always observe proper hygiene
- Consult your doctor regularly
In a previous report by KAMI, Doc Willie explained the negative effects of too much rice intake to people’s health. He advised that eating many rice would lead to high sugar levels or diabetes and weight gain.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Jodi Sta. Maria speaks with HumanMeter about the upcoming romantic drama "Man and Wife" also starring Gabbi Concepcion. Let us take a closer look into the movie shooting process and some details about the collaboration of the two celebrities – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!