- A young Indian was rushed to the emergency room after experiencing seizures
- He died due to a rare tapeworm infection found in his brain
- The World Health Organisation gave a warning about the rare disease
An 18-year-old Indian died after suffering from a rare tapeworm infection inside his brain. KAMI learned that the young man was rushed to the emergency room when he experienced seizures.
However, it was until when the MRI results came out that the doctors discovered he had “cystic lesions,” a tapeworm infection in his brain.
In a report by the ABC News, the deceased patient experienced pain in his right groin for a week, swelling over his right eye, and tenderness in his right testis.
The cysts damaged his cerebral cortex, cerebellum, and the brain stem. After getting treatment for two weeks, the patient succumbed to the rare infection.
According to a report by the Inquirer (author Katrina Hallare), humans could be infected by this rare condition through eating undercooked food like pork or by drinking water contaminated with tapeworm eggs, as well as poor hygiene.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) said that the disease could cause epilepsy and seizures.
In 2018, it was reported that a 10-centimeter tapeworm was found inside the brain of a Chinese man. The doctors said that the tapeworm was still alive when they took it out from his brain.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Bea Alonzo reveals how ghosts intervened in the process of the "Eerie" movie shooting. Spooky and exciting moments first-hand, from one of the greatest movie stars in Philippines! – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!