- Forbes has recently released their list of billionaires around the world
- Manny Villar was named as the richest man in the Philippines
- Villar was the one who succeeded the late Henry Sy Sr.
For the first time ever, former Senate President and property tycoon Manuel “Manny” Villar Jr. is named as the richest man in the Philippines, according to Forbes' billionaires list. KAMI learned that Villar has now a net-worth of $5.5 billion or P 287,366,750,000.
Villar topped the list after the man behind SM Malls, the late Henry Sy Sr., passed away last January 19. Sy had been the richest man in the country for around 11 years, as reported by the ABS-CBN News.
The former Senate President is the chairman of Starmalls and Vista & Land. The Villars also own the Golden Haven Memorial Park and Golden Bria.
Villar grew up in the slums of Tondo, Manila. He was raised by his father, Manuel “Maning” Villar Sr., who was an inspector for the Bureau of Fisheries and his mother, Curita “Curing” Bamba, who was a seafood vendor in the market.
Here are the other names that made it to Forbes’ billionaires list:
- John Gokongwei Jr. of JG Summit ($5.1 billion)
- Enrique Razon Jr. of International Container Terminal Services ($4.8 billion)
- Lucio Tan of LT Group of Jollibee Food ($4.4 billion)
- Tony Tan Caktiong & family ($3.9 billion)
- Ramon Ang of San Miguel ($2.9 billion)
- Andrew Tan of Alliance Global ($2.7 billion)
- Hans Sy of SM Investments ($2.4 billion)
- Herbert Sy of SM Prime ($2.4 billion)
- Harley Sy of SM Investments ($2.2 billion)
- Henry Sy Jr. of SM Prime & SM Investments ($2.2 billion)
- Teresita Sy-Coson of SM Investments & BDO Unibank ($2.2 billion)
- Elizabeth Sy of SM Hotels and Conventions ($1.9 billion)
- Eduardo Cojuangco of San Miguel ($1.4 billion)
- Roberto Coyiuto Jr. of Prudential Guarantee & Assurance($1.4 billion)
- Ricardo Po Sr. & family of Century Pacific ($1.2 billion)
- Roberto Ongpin of Alphaland ($1.1 billion)
You may visit Forbes’ list here.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
People React To Beggar Giving Them Money | What if a homeless guy gave you money? How would you act? Some reactions were quite unexpected. – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!