Trillanes on Duterte’s victory

Trillanes on Duterte’s victory

Vice presidential candidate and Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Monday, May 9, acknowledged the victory of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte in the presidential race.

After throwing allegations about Duterte’s bank transactions amounting to P2.4 billion which were not declared in the latter's Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV said in a statement that he will respect the will of the Filipino people.

"I respect the will of the Filipino people. They have spoken clearly and resoundingly that they want Mayor Duterte to be our next President," the senator said.

He also assured the mayor and the Filipinos that he will not be a hindrance to the government. However, he will still continue his advocacy.

"I assure the Mayor and our countrymen that I will not be a hindrance to the reform initiatives he intends to push in our government. Having said that, I will continue with my advocacies as a legislator in our system of checks and balances. May God bless our country," Trillanes said.

Citing a Commission on Audit report last year, Trillanes said the city government spent P708 million for salaries of contractual workers that include garbage collectors, drivers and intelligence operatives roaming the city.

On May 5, Trillanes filed a plunder complaint against Duterte before the Office of the Ombudsman over the questionable hiring of 11,246 contractual workers by the city government of Davao in 2014.

Trillanes, who earlier claimed that Duterte had hundreds of millions of pesos hidden in bank accounts, continue to challenge Duterte to bare his accounts by executing a bank secrecy waiver.

RELATED: Cayetano concedes VP bid


Related news