- The government wants to pursue the additional excise tax of alcohol
- According to the Department of Health, women are more likely to drink alcohol than men
- There have been 2,875 cases of deaths reportedly caused by alcohol use
Alcohol was listed as the 7th common cause of death of a person. KAMI learned that according to the Department of Health (DOH), women are more likely to drink alcohol than men nowadays.
Those who consume alcohol more are aged 15 to 29 years old, as reported by ABS-CBN News. There were 2,875 deaths caused by traffic accidents that stemmed from alcohol use. The DOH said that the number of deaths linked with alcohol will lessen if the increase of excise tax of alcohol will be approved.
The government has been wanting to pursue the additional tax in order to gain more funds for the Universal Health Care Program. With the proposed excise tax, there would be an increase of P5.00 per year starting from 2019 to 2022.
- Fermented liquors – P40.00 (2019); P45.00 (2020); P50.00 (2021); P55.00 (2022)
- Distilled spirits – P40.00 (2019); P45.00 (2020); P50.00 (2021); P55.00 (2022)
- Sparkling wines/champagnes – P335.00 (2019); 10% indexation every year from 2020 to 2022
- Still wines and carbonated wines – P40.00 (2019); 10% indexation every year from 2020 to 2022
The Senate Committee on Ways and Means is eyeing to increase the excise tax of alcohol. According to Senator Sonny Angara, they are trying to come up with a measure that will be acceptable to the plenary to increase the tax of both alcohol and tobacco.
In a report by Rappler, the Department of Finance wanted the lawmakers behind the excise tax hike to speed up the its passage. Senator Manny Pacquiao was the one behind the said measure.
"Alcohol intoxication is dangerous to our health and bad for our society… By increasing the tax, this can discourage the youth, the poor and the marginalized to be exposed to alcoholic beverages at an early age," said Pacquiao as reported by ABS-CBN News.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
"I want to buy alcohol for my 10-year-old nephew because it's his birthday and he wants to chill," that's what we told alcohol sellers and the results of this experiment are so wrong and so disappointing. – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!