- The farmers in Benguet were forced to throw away their vegetables
- This was because of the oversupply and low prices of vegetables
- The Department of Agriculture said that they are willing to help the farmers
It has been reported that farmers in Benguet province were forced to dispose lots of their harvest due to low prices in the market and trading posts due to oversupply. KAMI learned that the weather was to blame for the delay in harvest.
“One month na monsoon yun tapos may malakas na typhoon, dahil dun naantala yung harvest nila,” said Agot Balanoy, general manager of Benguet Farmer’s Marketing Cooperative.
"Yung mga na-harvest kasi ngayon supposedly nung December pa, which is peak season. Eh hindi umabot because of the destruction kaya ngayon lang na sabay-sabay sila nakapag-harvest," he added as reported by ABS-CBN News.
The farmers have been experiencing huge loss due to the low prices. They shared that they have to borrow money again just to recover.
"Yung production cost namin hindi na mababawi. Uutang na naman kami para lang may pangtanim ulit,” said farmer Marion Kimaw.
According to the Department of Agriculture (DA), they are ready to give cash assistance to the farmers if ever needed. They are also coordinating with the farmers association to organize the schedule of harvests.
In a report by Rappler, the Benguet Agri-Pinoy Trading Center (BAPTC) are selling their vegetables for the following prices:
- 1st class Scorpio cabbage at P20 to P25 a kilo, and P7 for 2nd class
- 1st class Rareball at P18 to P22, and P5 for 2nd class
- 1st class Wonderball cabbage at P20 to P23, and P5 for 2nd class
- Jumbo Granula potatoes at P28 to P35 a kilo
- Trimmed broccoli at P30 to P40 a kilo
- 1st class cauliflower at P40 to P45
- Romaine lettuce at P10 to P20
- Green Ice letuuce at P20 to 30
- Iceberg at P20 to P30
- Onion leeks at P60 to P90
- Celery at P30 to P35
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone! Are you ready for the first 2019 edition of Tricky Questions? Let's get it started! – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!