- The House of Representatives approved on second reading the Resolution of Both Houses (RBH)
- However, there are big changes proposed for the 1987 Constitution
- Some of these are the removal of anti-dynasty provisions and term limit for government officials
PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see KAMI news on your News Feed
The House of Representatives already approved for second reading the amendments for 1987 Constitution as well as the shift of Philippines to federalism. KAMI learned that there are 13 big changes that the House wants to be done in the Constitution as per Resolution of Both Houses (RBH) 15 as led by House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Here are the changes as stated in RBH 15 as reported by Rappler:
- No set number of federal states to be established. A federal state may be created as long as there is a petition to the Congress.
- Limit of 4 years for the term of president and vice president with one chance for re-election
- No anti-dynasty provisions
- No two-term limit for senators
- No three-term limit for district and party-list representatives
- Bangsamoro Autonomous Region will be declared as a federal stare.
- The elected president and vice president should come from same political party and should be elected as a team.
- Only two political parties will be allowed; with the first two parties who have the most votes during the first election under federalism will be allowed
- Candidates for president, vice president and Congress members should have college degree
- Current President is not allowed for re-election in same position in 2022
- The incumbent vice president will be the successor of the president once he or she steps out of duty.
- Instead of the Senate President, the House Speaker will be the chair of Commission on Appointments
- National election will be set on the second Monday of May 2022. Elected officials will start their term at 12pm on June 30, 2022.
PAY ATTENTION: Using free basics app to access internet for free? Now you can read KAMI news there too. Use the search option to find us. Read KAMI news while saving your data!
House Speaker Arroyo said that RBH 15 will not be approved during the 17th Congress.
In a report by Philippine Star, Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto II said that he doubts that the RBH 15 will make it in the Senate.
“Chances of the federal draft charter making it in the Senate at this point are very doubtful,” said the Senate President.
Sotto also added that the Senate is still too busy discussing about the proposed national budget.
In a previous report by KAMI, Vice President Leni Robredo commented about the previous draft charter by Arroyo. It had been stated before that the Senate President will be the successor of the President which was changed for the new RBH 15.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
HumanMeter team is tricking Filipinos in the street with the second part of our famous Beggar With A Twist prank. The reactions from the prank victims are just extremely hilarious! You can also check out our other videos – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!