- President Duterte has been one of the controversial Presidents the Philippines ever had
- He has made a remark not just in our country but as well as around the globe
- KAMI listed the reasons why Duterte remains as a popular President
In his 2 years in Malacanan, President Rodrigo Duterte has made a lot of remarks not just among Filipinos but also around the world. He made a drastic change in the country without a doubt. However, just like any other Presidents, he has his own strengths and weaknesses.
During his presidential campaign, he vowed to end the illegal drugs and corruption in the country. He became popular for his “war on drugs”. He’s also been remarkable for his foul mouth and for being so outspoken.
KAMI learned from Gulf News the performance of Duterte as the President of the Philippines. Here’s a list of Duterte’s accomplishments that made him remarkable in today’s generation:
1. Tuition-free education in state universities and colleges
- According to RA 10931, students from state universities and colleges as well as local universities and colleges can finally have an access to free quality tertiary education
2. Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018
- Duterte signed into law the Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018. This aims to lessen the hassle of the Filipinos in securing permits and licenses.
3. Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN) Law
- The main purpose of this law is to lower personal income taxes. However, this has put higher taxes on food, services, as well as fuel and tobacco.
4. OFW Bank
- Last June 2018, Duterte has launched the Overseas Filipino (OF) Bank that caters to all overseas Filipino workers (OFWS). They can loan non-collateral up to P350,000 at 6% annual interest in the OF Bank.
5. Longer validity of Philippine passports
- President Duterte has also signed RA 10928 which aims to make the validity of Philippine passports for 10 years. However, for minors below 18 will have 5 year-validity.
6. Longer validity of Philippine driver’s license
- In RA 10930, it was stated that Philippine driver’s license will be valid for 5 years.
7. Bangsamoro Organic Law
- To lessen the issues in Mindanao, President Duterte signed Bangsamoro Organic Law.
8. SSS for OFWs
- It has been approved by the administration that all OFWs should have a mandatory SSS.
As previously reported by KAMI, President Duterte had top 6 notable projects under his administration such as:
9. War on Drugs
- In a data by Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), around 5,000 drug pushers were killed and 150,000 were arrested during the operation since July 2016 to September 2018. Even international critics were involved in this issue.
10. Build, Build, Build
- Duterte administration has been investing a lot on infrastructures to enhance the lives of the Filipinos by providing more opportunities for employment and such. The estimated budget for this was around P8 to P9 trillion.
11. Boracay restoration
- The Boracay Island was temporarily closed last April 26 for restoration. 6 months after, it was re-opened to tourists and the changes were really visible. Now, the government’s aiming to maintain the beauty of the island.
12. 911 Emergency Hotline and 8888 Complaint Hotline
- Duterte administration has launched the 911 National Emergency Hotline as well as the 8888 National Complaint Hotline so that Filipinos can direct their concerns from their experiences in the government agencies or services.
13. Lower interconnection rates
- Interconnection rates of telecommunication companies were lowered as mandated by National Telecommunications Commissions last July 2018.
As previously reported by KAMI, President Duterte has also made changes across Asia in five different ways.
President Duterte assumed his post in 2016. He is 73 y/o and he is the oldest to become the President of the Philippines.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!
Filipinos Street Quiz: Philippines tricky questions - can you answer these tricky questions? Today we are going to ask the Philippines strangers some very funny Tagalog tricky questions! These individuals from the Philippines have their answers – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!