- Senator Trillanes has accused Solicitor General Jose Calida’s firm for ‘cornering’ at leats 16 government contracts
- Trillanes said that it was a conflict of interest
- However, Calida insisted that there was no conflict since he stepped down as the company’s president in 2016
It has been reported that opposition Senator Antnio Trillanes IV has stated through a privilege speech that Solicitor General Jose Calida’s security agency garnered P358.3 million in government contracts.
KAMI has learned from Rappler that according to Triilanes, Calida and his family’s firm, Vigilant Investigative and Security Agency Incorporated has “cornered” 16 government contracts since 2016.
“Talagang pinakyaw n'ya ang mga kontrata simula noong nakapwesto sila,” said by Trillanes.
He added that Calida has been violating the laws with regard to conflict of interest as stated in Code of Conduct of Public Officials. However, Calida insisted that there was no conflict since he stepped down as their company’s president back in 2016 although he said that he did not divest from the firm.
Here are the government contracts as gathered by Rappler:
1. Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), P182.4 million
2. House of Representatives, P96 million
January 2017 - P42.4 million
December 2017 - P53.7 million
3. National Electrification Administration, P17.9 million
4. Department of Justice, P12.4 million
5. National Anti-Poverty Commission, P2.8 million
6. National Economic Development Authority, P6.8 million
7. National Parks Development Committee
As mandated by law, according to Code of Conduct of Public Officials Section 6, “a public official or employee shall avoid conflicts of interest at all times.”
“When a conflict of interest arises, he shall resign from his position in any private business enterprise within thirty (30) days from his assumption of office and/or divest himself of his shareholdings or interest within sixty (60) days from such assumption,” it added.
As per anti-graft law Section 3(h), it is not allowed for “directly or indirectly having financing or pecuniary interest in any business, contract or transaction in connection with which he intervenes or takes part in his official capacity, or in which he is prohibited by the Constitution or by any law from having any interest.”
POPULAR: Read more news about Senator Antonio Trillanes!
Scary Nun Prank is already on HumanMeter! Many of you had asked us to shoot The Nun prank – and we did it! So, today we are proud to present you an extraordinary lady, Scary Nun! In this episode, she is going to roam the streets of the Philippines and scare innocent people – on KAMI Human Meter YouTube channel!