- Gloria Arroyo’s “Timbangan ng Bayan” bill gets approved by House of Representatives
- This bill seeks to have Timbangan ng Bayan centers in all markets nationwide
- Violators will be fined P50,000 up to P300,000 with one up to five years of imprisonment
House Bill (HB) 7857 filed by Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to establish “Timbangan ng Bayan” in all markets all over the country has been approved by the House of Representatives.
KAMI read from Rappler that the bill has been approved for its third and final reading by the lawmakers who voted 199-0-0.
In case it has been passed to a law, the house bill would add new Article 62-A to Consumer Act of the Philippines (Republic Act 7384). This would require all local government units (LGU) to have Timbangan ng Bayan centers in all markets nationwide, may it be private or public.
In this way, the consumers can weigh and verify the products before actually buying them. A supervisor would be in charge of keeping things in order and maintaining the quality of the weighing scale.
Included in HB 7857 are the penalties when it comes to altering, vandalizing, tampering, and destroying any weighing instrument located at the Timbangan ng Bayan center.
According to the official website of the Congress, violators would be apprehended with fine between P50,000 to P300,000 or will be imprisoned for one year up to five years.
The other prohibited acts are:
• For any person other than the official sealer or his or her duly authorized representative to attach an official tag indicating a weighing instrument has officially been tested, calibrated, sealed, or inspected
• For any person other than the official sealer or his or her duly authorized representative to imitate such an official tag
• For any person other than the official sealer or his or her duly authorized representative to alter in any way the certificate indicating the official sealer’s acknowledgement that an instrument has been fully tested, calibrated, sealed, or inspected
• For any person to knowingly sell or use fake tags, certificates, or dye for printing to make it appear as if a weighing instrument has been officially tested, calibrated, sealed, or inspected
• For any person to use or reuse any restored, altered, expired, damaged stamp, tag certificate, or license to make it appear as if the instrument has been officially tested, calibrated, sealed, or inspected
You may see the PDF version of the Committee Report here.
In a previous report by KAMI, Gloria Arroyo confirmed her retirement for 2019. She also announced that she will no longer run for any position next year.
Using free basics app to access internet for free? Now you can read KAMI news there too. Use the search option to find us. Read KAMI news while saving your data!
Philippines Story is a project that may change your attitude towards people. In this set of videos, we ask different professionals from the Philippines to share their life stories. Our today’s heroine didn’t finish her education but found the work of her dreams. You probably know her as Jen Pili, a makeup artist, and a vlogger. – on KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!