- President Duterte has ordered the close down of Boracay for six months, effective on April 26
- He said that it is an effort to save the popular tourist destination from fully becoming a cesspool for its lack of a proper sewage system
- Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the six-month closure was approved by President Duterte during the latest Cabinet meeting in Malacañang
Celebrators of 'LaBoracay' may have to relocate and change their plans for the May 1 holiday as President Duterte has ordered Boracay's closedown for six months, starting on April 26.
The news was announced through Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque's Twitter post:
Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the six-month closure was approved by President Duterte during the latest Cabinet meeting in Malacañang.
“DENR-DOT-DILG (Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Department of Tourism-Department of the Interior and Local Government) proposal approved after an exhaustive discussion,” Guevarra said.
President Duterte has previously called Boracay a cesspool because of its waste disposal problems and the lack of a proper sewerage system on the island. He warned that he was thinking of shutting down the island for its cleaning. He also threatened to file charges against officials who did nothing to prevent its deterioration.
"It's hard to be a mother and it's hard to be a father. Can you just imagine how difficult is it for one person to play the role of two?" Anna revealed why being a single parent is the hardest decision has ever made. Know more about this story on KAMI Youtube Channel!