President Rodrigo Duterte apologized for the mishap that happened last week when an MRT car detached from the rest of the train.
Last Thursday, around 140 passengers had to be evacuated and walked along the train tracks between Buendia and Ayala stations.
"We offer no excuse, but apologies maybe to the public for the inconvenience cause," said Duterte in an interview on Saturday.
KAMI learned of Duterte's response through GMA News Online.
Duterte said the uncoupling might have been intentional because the train's black box is missing.
"It would indicate sabotage or something did it intentionally. So maybe the connecting mechanisms there or equipment seems to be -- hindi nila makita or it's not there when it's supposed to be there," said Duterte.
The Department of Transportation has been handling the maintenance of MRT3, after they ended the contract with Busan Universal Rail.
After conducting an initial investigation on Thursday, Safety Chief Technician Ruel Jose said it was impossible that the coaches would detach on its own.
"Imposibleng magkahiwalay ang coupler kung walang human intervention," said Jose.