“Ballot selfies” strictly prohibited, Comelec reiterates

“Ballot selfies” strictly prohibited, Comelec reiterates

Following numerous reports of Overseas Absentee Voters (OAV) taking selfies with their ballots, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner Arthur Lim said that they will “have it investigated by our law department whether there is probable cause, and to determine whether we have jurisdiction over it.”

Lim said that so far they have recorded “ballot selfie” incidences inSingapore, Brunei, Hong Kong, Madrid in Spain, and Vientianne in Laos.

“It is important for everyone to take seriously our election and don’t toy around with it. Taking pictures of your vote is strictly prohibited,” Lim reminded the OAVs who are yet to cast their vote.

Based on Comelec’s records, out of the 1,376,067 total number of registered OAV, only around 14% or 191,427 have cast their vote thus far.

However, the commission expects this figure to climb to about 400,000 by the end of the voting period on May 9.

The month-long overseas voting started on April 9.

 

 

 Photo Credits: Metro Cebu

Related news

Father couldn't stop crying after receiving the best gift from his sons

Father couldn't stop crying after receiving the best gift from his sons

Filipino dad gets the biggest surprise from kids this Christmas