Attempt to hack Bangko Sentral website foiled

Attempt to hack Bangko Sentral website foiled

Hackers were unable to break down the defences of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas’ (BSP) website due to its robust security features, BSP Gov. Amando M. Tetangco Jr. said on Thursday.

The website equipped with firewalls and intrusion-prevention systems. “We continue to update the firewalls and the security features as we move along. It is a continuing effort,” Tetangco earlier said during the The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Foundation’s Financial Inclusion Summit 2016.

According to Tetangco, BSP received a warning from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication or SWIFT regarding recent multiple cyberfraud incidents targeting its system. SWIFT’s disclosure was brought about by the cybertheft amounting to $81 million. SWIFT is a cooperative owned by 3,000 financial institutions.

“Our website is up and running. We remain vigilant and continue to follow security protocols for its protection,” Tetangco later said in a text message to reporters.

Tetangco further said that the cyberattacks had been limited to the BSP website; its information technology infrastructure and systems were not breached in any way. The BSP website contains publicly available data.

The BSP is advising all entities to supervises transactions and other activities to make sure that they have robust security systems.

Meanwhile, other banks around the Philippines are tightening up their security measures against hacking, especially after the theft of millions in dollars from the Bangladesh central bank account at the New York Federal Reserve Bank.

The stolen money is being investigated by the Senate and the Anti-Money Laundering Council as it ended up in two casinos and a junket operator in the Philippines. The said theft is considered to be among the biggest cyberheists in history.

BSP has not always been safe from hacking. In September 2012, it can be recalled that the BSP website was hacked by “Anonymous Philippines,” which was protesting the anticybercrime law.

 

Related news

Nakakamiss! John Prats and Carlo Aquino's photo together will hit you right in the childhood

Nakakamiss! John Prats and Carlo Aquino's photo together will hit you right in the childhood

Nostalgia alert! JCS members John Prats and Carlo Aquino reunite for a photo op