Premier host Kris Aquino recently learned how to cook authentic Laing through her friend fashion designer Avel Bacudio.
Here's the super duper duper duper sarap LAING recipe of Avel!
Avel Bacudio's Special Laing Recipe
20 stalks of dried gabi leaves
2 kilos of Monterey pork pigue, diced 1cm x 1 cm
½ kilo of native bagoong (without coloring)
5 large red onions, sliced
2 heads of garlic, minced
½ kilo of ginger, sliced
8 cups of pure coconut milk or gata (from about 10 coconuts)
20 pieces siling labuyo, unchopped
10 pieces long green chili (pang-sigang), chopped
8-10 pieces of fresh uncooked prawns with shell on
1. Separate the fat of the pork from the lean parts.
2. Heat a large kawali and add 1 cup of water. When boiling, add the fatty parts of pork and cook till oil seeps out. Turn heat to medium and add lean meat. Sauté till pork is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add ginger, garlic and onion to pork and sauté till onions are translucent.
4. While onions are cooking, rinse bagoong shortly under water. Check for saltiness—taste for a rich salty flavor that’s not overpowering.
5. Mix bagoong into pork, and then add all pieces of siling labuyo and long green chili. Sauté gently for about 1 minute.
6. Add pure coconut milk and cook uncovered for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add uncooked prawns into mix and gently cook for about 2-3 minutes till prawns are pink and cooked through. Set aside from mixture.
8. Bring gata mixture to a boil and when an oily layer appears on surface, add the gabi leaves. DO NOT MIX. Allow leaves to absorb the gata, keeping kawali uncovered.
9. After about 5 to 8 minutes, once the top of leaves begin to steam, then can you can mix gently.
10. Allow laing mixture to simmer for about 7-8 more minutes till fat from the pork and coconut milk seep out.
11. Spoon onto serving dish and top with cooked prawns.
Do you have other interesting, or heartwarming stories, photos, or videos? Please share it with us by liking our official Facebook page and sending us a message.
Watch the latest KAMI video below.