Davao City mayor and presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte accompanied the five Davao policemen released by the New People's Army (NPA) on Monday, April 25.
The five policemen were identified as Chief Insp. Leonardo V. Tarongoy, the station commander of Paquibato Police Station, PO3 Rosenie L. Cabuenas, PO3 Rudolf Pacete, PO3 Abdul Azis A. Ali Jr. and PO2 Neil C. Arellano. The civilian, on the other hand, was positively identified as Ronald Dordas.
The captives and Duterte were further welcomed at the police headquarters in Paquibato district by the families of the victims. They were accompanied by officials Chief Supt Manuel Gaerlan and Senior Supt Vicente Danao.
Reports state that five policemen and a civilian were allegedly captured in Purok 5, Barangay Mapula, by the NPA last week, while they were on their way to the village of Salapawan.
"The police officers were responding to a call that an auxiliary post was attacked by the rebels, and when they were on their way, they crossed the blocking force of the rebels," Village chief Celso Bughao said.
The said lawless group were also the same ones who released the captives.
It is said the mayor was able to secure the release of said individuals after coming to terms with the NPA in Barangay Mapula, Paquibato District, Davao City.
Duterte said in his speech that all he did was to ask the NPA to free the captives as they were just doing their jobs. On the other hand, he said that he instructed the policemen to calm down and not harm the NPAs.
Meanwhile, Duterte reveals that he will be giving his trust and confidence to the Philippine National Police and the Army in ensuring peace and order should he be elected. He also vowed to increase the salary of both the military and police officers.