Two Comelec members have strongly expressed their opposition on the proposal of turning malls into polling precincts for the May 9 elections.
On Friday, April, 22, Comelec Commissioner Christian Robert Lim has sent a memorandum stating his rejection of the said proposal by Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista. In the said memorandum, Lim stated that the transfer of polling precincts within 45 days before elections is against the law.
Aside from Lim, Commissioner Rowena Guanzon has also expressed her disapproval of the said proposal. She also explained that the said transfer “45 days before a regular election” is forbidden by the Omnibus Election Code.
These oppositions have surfaced two weeks before the elections despite the fact that the mall voting project has been approved by the commission’s poll body last month.
The en banc has allowed a total of 86 malls across the country to function as voting precincts. Mall voting aims to decongest schools that serve as polling precincts. Persons with disabilities will also be provided with special lanes instead of separate voting precincts in the coming elections.
However, Guanzon said that the Comelec would have a hard time pushing through this project if voters who would be set to vote in shopping centers have not been provided with the VIS (voting information sheet). The VIS lists the voter’s name, address, and assigned precincts.
The poll body will discuss comments on the said proposal in its meeting on Tuesday, April 26.