- A mother posted photographs of her son on Facebook to show people why children with chicken pox should not be give ibuprofen
- Her young son ended up with septicemia and had to be admitted to hospital
- Apparently the medicine causes the wounds from chicken pox to go deeper into the skin
Hannah Lyons said that when her son Lewis developed chicken pox, he was prescribed ibuprofen by several doctors and it was even given to him in a accident and emergency ward to reduce a fever.
The sores on his skin got worse and worse but Hannah says doctors kept insisting that it was just normal chicken pox. Lewis eventually ended up with septicemia, which is very dangerous. He ended up with severe blood poisoning.
Lewis was immediately admitted to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool when doctors there realized that he had been prescribed ibuprofen (an anti-inflammatory medication) for his chicken pox, and they explained to Hannah that this was making the sores on his skin worse.
She put out a warning to parents on Facebook, which has been shared 350,000 times. She said also that nurofen should not be prescribed with chicken pox either. Her post explains that only Calpol is safe to use.
Many medical websites confirm that this is true.