Typhoon Lawin victims to receive millions in financial aid from China

Typhoon Lawin victims to receive millions in financial aid from China

- Following Department of Social Welfare (DSWD) Secretary Judy Taguiwalo's annoncement that the Philippines does not need financial aid from other countries, the Chinese embassy made an announcement saying that donations have been made to the Philippine government

- Promises of support from the Chinese government and the Red Cross Society of China were also reported including sympathies of both the Chinese president and the Foreign Minister

- DSWD also retracted the statement, clarifying that financial aids are still welcome, if no conditions are attached to it

The Chinese Embassy announced on Monday, October 24, that donations have been made and pledged to the Philippines following the onslaught of typhoon Lawin (with international name, Haima).

In a statement that came following Department of Social Welfare (DSWD) Secretary Judy Taguiwalo's announcement that there is no need for foreign aid for the typhoons' victims, the Chinese embassy had said that a total of P50 million has been disbursed for "the disaster relief of farmers and fishermen in the affected regions."

Typhoon-lawin-victims-china-ph

Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Xao Jianhoa and President Rodrigo Duterte Photo credit: Rappler

READ ALSO: Magkalinawan na! Top US official meets with Yasay to discuss PH-US separation

The statement had come along with photos of Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua handing a piece of paper to and shaking hands with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacañang.

Typhoon-lawin-victims-china-ph

Chinese ambassador was spotted shaking hands with the Philippine president Photo credit: Rappler

READ ALSO: Magagawan ng paraan! Kerry confidently states US-PHL ties remain despite Duterte confusion

Reports had it that China has also promised P35 million in support for the country's anti-disaster projects in addition to the humanitarian aid of US$100,000 offered by Red Cross Society of China.

Chinese President Xi Jinping had already expressed his sympathies to Duterte during their bilateral talks in Beijing on October 20.

READ ALSO: Bahala na ang China! Submissive Duterte says Filipinos’ fishing rights are up to the Chinese authorities

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi also sent his sympathies to his Fiipino counterpart, Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr.

DSWD Secretary Judy Taguiwalo later clarified her earlier statement, by saying that the Philippines is still open to receiving foreign donations for disaster victims, as long as there are no conditions imposed by the donors.

RELATED: FIND OUT why the Philippine flag was raised higher than 4 other China flags!

Related news

Netizens fire back at Mocha Uson for criticizing the youth who participated in anti-Marcos rallies

Netizens fire back at Mocha Uson for criticizing the youth who participated in anti-Marcos rallies

Netizens fire back at Mocha Uson for criticizing the youth who participated in anti-Marcos rallies