- A toddler died after choking on a grape at Pizza Hut
- He ended up in a coma and his parents decided to turn off life support
- He had suffered serious and irreversible brain damage
Jacob Jenkins was only two years old, but choked on a grape while he and his parents - David and Abigail Jenkins - were dining at the Hartlepool Pizza Hut outlet in the UK.
He was immediately treated by a first aider from the restaurant as well as two others from a cinema next door, but the grape could not be dislodged.
Paramedics said his heart had stopped beating by the time they arrived on the scene. He was taken to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough and then later transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.
He was in a coma and on life support, and specialists found that he had suffered irreversible brain damage. His parents made the decision to take him off the life support.
At the same time as this, a crowd of people released balloons to honor his young life. His mother sent out a message of thanks to everyone for prayers and support.
A Pizza Hut spokesperson also expressed their condolences.