- President Rodrigo Duterte has previously told President Barack Obama to "go to hell"
- However, even with all the tirades, Duterte said that the US-PH alliance would still remain intact
- Nevertheless, Duterte is also set to fix relations with China
Despite all the threats President Duterte made of abandoning the United States, President Duterte said early on Wednesday, October 13, 2016, that he will not be breaking the military alliance that the two countries share.
This statement came after confusion over the Philippines foreign policy concerning the United States stood given that Duterte previously threatened to cut ties with the United States in favor of Russia and China.
Yet, the President assures that the US-PH alliance is going to remain intact.
On the other hand, Duterte made it clear that there will be no longer any joint military exercises with the US military.
"I told Defense Secretary (Delfin) Lorenzana, do not make preparations for next year. I do not want it anymore. I will chart an independent foreign policy," Duterte said.
He later added that the Philippines needs to pursue an independent foreign policy.
Yet, Duterte is willing to keep the military alliance with the United States because his advisers told him it is important to have the United States in their defence.
In the perspective of the United States, US Defense Secretary Ash Carter reiterates that the alliance with the Philippines is "ironclad" and will not be easily broken. The United States and the Philippines has enjoyed more than 70 years of friendship.