Norweigian hostage freed by Abu Sayyaf, thanks PH gov’t

Norweigian hostage freed by Abu Sayyaf, thanks PH gov’t

- The efforts of the Philippine government received utmost gratitude from a Norwegian hostage who was released by the Abu Sayyaf group last Saturday

- Kjartan Sekkingstad was one of the four people kidnapped by the rebel group in a Samal resort last year

- Peace Process Adviser Jesus Dureza said that Sekkingstad extends his gratitude to President Rodrigo Duterte

After months of being held under hostage by the Abu Sayyaf Group, a Norwegian was finally given back his freedom due to the efforts of the Philippine government.

Norweigian hostage freed by Abu Sayyaf, thanks PH gov’t

(Photo from: inquirer.com)

Freed Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad expressed his utmost gratitude to the Philippine government for facilitating his release on Saturday.

According to Jesus Dureza, Peace Process Adviser of the current administrations, said in a statement that Kjartan Sekkingstad was released by the captors at around 2 in the afternoon last Saturday.

Sekkingstad was supposed to be aired in media networks, however the inclement weather intervened with the event and led to its cancellation.

READ ALSO: Heroic off-duty cops rescue helpless civilians by killing brutal hold-upper

Dureza further informed the media that Sekkingstad would be spending the night at the place of Moro National Liberation Front Chair Nur Misuari.

Misuari was the one who volunteered to accommodate the Norwegian due to the heavy rainfall.

Men of Misuari and former Gov. Sakur Tan and other volunteers helped in the release,” added Dureza.

Moreover, the Palace official announced that he would bring the freed Norwegian hostage to Davao City by Sunday morning.

READ ALSO: Syrian rebel accidently kills himself and all his friends in a literal photo-bombing

I will fly him out of Jolo town tomorrow morning,” Dureza said.

Kjartan Sekkingstand is extending his gratitude and appreciation to President Rodrigo Duterte for facilitating his release from the rebel group.

Thank you to President Duterte,” said Sekkingstad during his phone conversation with Dureza.

Dureza informed the media that Sekkingstad’s release was made possible through the “months of quiet, patient but determined efforts with the assistance of all sectors.”

READ ALSO: Incredible moment a hostage escapes execution and kills his ISIS captors

The rebel group Abu Sayyaf, who is notoriously known for kidnapping foreigners for ransom, was supposed to release Sekkingstad last Friday night but they were still patiently waiting for the P30 million ransom money to be delivered to them.

Sekkingstad was one of the four people kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf last year in a Samal resort. The two other hostages, Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, were beheaded while Filipina Marites Flor was also freed like Sekkingstad.

 

Related news

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest "Crush ng Bayan"

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest "Crush ng Bayan"