Flesh-eating virus corrupting boy's body as he nicks his hand

Flesh-eating virus corrupting boy's body as he nicks his hand

– 13-year-old boy nicked his hand on his football helmet during practice

– The next morning his mother drove him to hospital as his middle finger started to swell

– Doctors say he would have faced amputation or even death if he didn't act so fast  

Young Matthew Flores nicked his hand on his football helmet during practice and within hours he had developed a headache and started throwing up.

The next day, his mother took him to urgent care to get his swollen finger checked out. “The surgeon said that she had never seen anything so bad and she was afraid he was going to lose his finger,” his mother wrote on Facebook.

Flesh-eating virus corrupting boy's body as he nicks his hand

Experts say the boy contracted group A streptococcus, bacteria that causes relatively mild illnesses like strep throat. However, the bacteria can be serious or even life-threatening if it attacks muscle, fat and skin, when it causes flesh-eating bacteria to spread.

Matthew’s hand that doctors operated on was his dominant hand and it's unclear whether he'll regain use of it. So his football career might be under threat.

After all, luckily he has survived and now will recover.

 

Related news

This Chinese teacher makes it easier for us to learn anatomy with his strange method!

This Chinese teacher makes it easier for us to learn anatomy with his strange method!

Find out why this Chinese teacher has a weird way of teaching anatomy to his students
Mailfire view pixel