- Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has announced on Monday that the city government has put up a P 2-million bounty for the immediate arrest of the culprits behind the explosion on Friday
- The P 2-million bounty would be divided into 2: P 1-M for the name and the whereabouts of the person, and another P 1-M for the delivery of the person to the city government
- The mayor calls for prayers for the victims, and urged visitors to continue visiting the city, promising that the city government will be trying to avoid similar incidents
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has announced in an interview on Monday, September 5, the the city government's offer of a total of P 2-million bounty for the immediate arrest of the people behind the deadly Davao blast on Friday night.
According to the mayor, a bounty of P 1-million has been tapped from the city government for information on the "three (possibly four) persons of interest" being hunted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and another P 1-million for those who can "deliver" them to the city government.
In the interview, Mayor Duterte-Carpio said, "Kumuha ako galing sa city government; P 1 million sa makakabigay sa pangalan at kung nasaan iyung tao ngayon and then another P1 million po sa makakapag-deliver sa amin nung taong iyun."
(I have tapped the city government's fund and set aside P 1 million for information on the name and the current whereabouts of the person and another P1 million for whoever can deliver this person to us.)
The blast at the bustling night market in Davao city on Friday killed at least 14 people and prompted the President to impose a "state of lawlessness" in the country.
According to the police, three people are being hunted for questioning, as witnesses have described that a man, followed by two women, was seen leaving a bag with the improvised bomb. The police also mentioned the possibility of a fourth person of interest in relation to the bombing, which has been blamed on the Abu Sayyaf group.
According to Senior Superintendent Michael John Dubria, the unnamed man had been seen going for a massage in the market before leaving the bag in that area.
"We believe the improvised explosive device exploded when the person left," he had said, adding that two women were also seen following the man. The police also speculated that there had been another person who detonated the device with a cellphone.
Dubria did not name any suspect but he said that the bomb was made using a mortar shell, which was similar to those used by the "threat groups" in central Mindanao.
In an interview with Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Martin Andanar on Sunday, he had said that Duterte believes the attack was "80 percent" likely an act of terrorism.
There are also speculations that the attack had been a retaliatory counter-attack against the intensified government operation, which was ordered by the President, against the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) following the clash on August 29 that left 15 soldiers dead.
However, the spokeswoman for the task force Chief Inspector Andrea de la Cerna said that other motives for the bombing in Davao on Friday night are also being considered.
"We have copies of the CCTV (closed-circuit television), we have eight possible witnesses but we have named no one (as suspects)," she added.
In the interview, Davao Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio also urged people to still visit Davao City, saying, "As I said, I am sorry for what happened, but we welcome everybody na gustong bumisita dito sa Davao City and I assure everybody here in Davao City na gagawin namin lahat to prevent another incident."
(As I said, I am sorry for what happened, but we welcome everybody who wants to visit Davao City and I assure everybody here in Davao City that we will do everything to prevent another incident.)
She also asked her constituents to unite against the terrorists and pray for the victims of the explosion.
"Hinihingi ko lang lahat na magkaisa po tayo against terrorists. Magkaisa po tayo na magdasal para sa mga namatay, nasa ospital at sa pamilya nila," she said.
(I am asking everyone to unite against terrorists. Let's unite in praying for the those who died, those who are still in the hospital, and their families.)