- Chief legal counsel Salvador Panelo affirmed that the proclamation of the state of lawlessness was already planned even before the Davao incident
- Panelo said that the proclamation has been drafted and was supposed to be released due to the campaign against drugs, criminality, terrorism, and the ASG
- Despite the situation, Panelo said that there is nothing to worry about the possibility of declaring martial law in the country
Prior President Rodrigo Duterte's announcement that that he would be putting the country in the state of lawlessness, it has been revealed that it had already planned before the bombing in Davao.
According to Chief presidential legal counsel Salvador Panelo, they have already been drafting a proclamation of a “state of lawlessness” even before the bombing incident in Roxas night market in Davao City that killed 14 and wounded 60 others.
“Hindi na-trigger [ng pagsabog sa Davao ang pagdeklara ng State of Lawlessness]. Actually, nasa planning stage na ‘yan.In fact, nagda-draft na nga kami ng proclamation [para sa State of Lawlessness bago pa ang pagsabog sa Davao],” Panelo stated during a radio interview.
(It was not triggered [by the explosion in Davao regarding the declaration of State of Lawlessness]. Actually, it was already on the planning stage. In fact, we have been working on the draft of the proclamation [for the State of Lawlessness even before the incident in Davao].)
Further, Panelo said that the executive order on the state of lawlessness was supposed to be released on Sunday or Monday.
Panelo explained that the four factors that urged Duterte to declare a state of lawless violence include the anti-illegal drug campaign, criminality, terrorism, and the Abu Sayyaf Group.
The said proclamation would have been applied nationwide and not only in Davao City.
“’Yung cinite kong mga problema ay nationwide din. ‘Yung terorismo, hindi lang ‘yan nakatutok sa Davao. Ang pagbabantang ginagawa nila ay dito sa Metro Manila, sa lahat ng malalaking siyudad, binabantaan nila na papasabugin tayo. Kaya bakit mo ilo-localized ang pagdedeklara mo [ng state of lawlessness],” added Panelo.
(The problems I cited were nationwide. Terrorism is not only centered in Davao. The threats they are making are focused here in Metro Manila, there are threats that they will bomb Metro Manila and the other big cities. So why are you going to localize the declaration of the state of lawlessness.)
The chief legal counsel also emphasized that drug men and criminality are nationwide.
Meanwhile, Panelo said that the public should not worry about a possible martial law and that the writ of habeas corpus would not be suspended. He said that there is a need right now to tighten the security measures given the crisis.
“Ito ay upang magamit niya (Duterte) ang Sandatahang Lakas at magkaroon ng mas mahigpit na pagpapatupad. Walang nagbago, we can do our thing, our normal activites every day,” Panelo ended.
(This is for him to be able to use the military and to have tightened security measures. Nothing changed, we can do our thing, our normal activities every day.)