- The unrelenting war against drugs has yet to wrap up now that President Rodrigo Duterte offered a 2 million bounty for police officers who continue to protect drug lords
- Despite the alarming number of drug suspects killed, Duterte said that it is not genocide
- Around 1,800 drug suspects have been killed in which 712 died after a gun clash with the police while the rest are from indefinite situations
President Rodrigo Duterte’s war against drugs has not turned to genocide, contrary to what others may think.
Speaking at the Heroes Cemetery in Taguig City on Monday, August 29, the president claimed that the widespread killings brought about by his campaign are far less grave than Syrian President Bashar Assad’s.
(photo credit: newsinfo.inquirer.net)
According to Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa’s report, there have been almost 1,800 drug suspects killed in which 712 were gunned after resisting the police while the rest died in unknown circumstances.
“Genocide? Who did I kill? I did not kill any child. I did not drop barrel (bombs) just like Assad. I’m fighting criminals,” the president said to a crowd of war veterans, top officials and ambassadors.
He added that his bloody anti-drugs campaign is also far from the appalling crimes committed by the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group, which he called ‘idiots’.
“I do not burn women because they refuse to have sex,” he said, referring to one of the many atrocities committed by the terrorists.
The killings brought by the campaign has been called on by human rights groups, to which UN special rapporteur on summary executions Agnes Callamard noted that the government and its law enforcers are not spared from taking responsibility for the matter.
“Claims to fight the illicit drug trade do not absolve the government from its international legal obligations and do not shield state actors or others from responsibility for illegal killings,” she said in a statement earlier this month.
However, the war against drugs is far from over, as the president made it known that there are at least 3.7 million Filipinos hooked on ‘shabu’ or methamphetamines. Despite the alarming number of drug suspects slain, around 600,000 users and dealers have already surrendered to authorities.
Duterte also stated in his speech that he is prepared to serve time to defend policemen from possible lawsuits. Nevertheless, there are still police officers protecting drug lords and he offered a 2 million bounty for those who can catch them.-Kami Media