Duterte says threat of leaving UN was a joke

Duterte says threat of leaving UN was a joke

- President Rodrigo Duterte clarified on Tuesday, August 23, that the statement about leaving the UN has been said in jest

- In his press conference, Duterte called the UN rapporteur and experts 'rude' for calling him out directly

- Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. also clarified that the Philippines will not leave the UN

Amid the controversies under his name,  President Rodrigo Roa Duterte clarified on Tuesday, August 23, that he had been joking when he threatened to leave the United Nations (UN).

The president said, “Di ka marunong mag-biro pa? Saan tayo mag-join, Association ng mga Lumubog?”

(Can’t you take a joke? What will you join, the association of those who have sunken?)

READ ALSO: Is the Philippines leaving the UN for real? Yasay has the answer

According to Duterte. the UN rapporteur and experts were 'rude' because they called him out without having their issues coursed through UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.

Duterte says threat of leaving UN was a joke

Presidexnt Rodrigo Duterte during a press conference (Photo from rappler.com)

“Napakabastos naman niya. Do not do that because you are addressing me as president, and you’re pointing to the police structure. This is a government, why would she directly – Gaga ba siya? So there has to be a superior who will write her a letter, ‘Hoy respeto,’ sabihin mo sa kanya before saying anything about genocide,” said Duterte.

(That’s so rude. Do not do that because you are addressing me as president, and you’re pointing to the police structure. This is a government, why would she directly – Is she crazy?  Gaga ba siya? So there has to be a superior who will write her a letter, Hey respect,' tell her, before saying anything about genocide.)

READ ALSO: Netizens slammed President Duterte for threatening to leave UN; here’s why

He also said that it would have been better if a superior - Ban Ki Moon - has written to him, so he can hurl accusations about how he did nothing to stop the massacre of thousands back to him.

“Eh di si Ban Ki ang magsulat sa akin para sabihin ko sa kanya wala ka namang ginawa. Hindi mo matapos ‘yung giyera sa ano, until now, people are being massacred by the thousands, by the hundreds,” he added.

"We certainly are not leaving the UN," says Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. in a news conference on Monday, August 22.

Kami Media

RELATED: Malacañang denies inviting UN to investigate extrajudicial killings, claims Abella’s statements were unofficial

Related news

Brokenhearted guy outrageously threatens ex-girlfriend using bomb made from sausages

Brokenhearted guy outrageously threatens ex-girlfriend using bomb made from sausages

Brokenhearted guy outrageously threatens ex-girlfriend using bomb made from sausages