- Malacañang has denied extending an invitation to the United Nations (UN) to investigate the extrajudicial killings in the country
- Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said that the statement made by Duterte’s chief legal counsel Salvador Panelo is unofficial
- Panelo said last week that experts should “come over and see for themselves the real situation”
Malacañang announced that it has not invited the United Nations (UN) to come to the country and investigate the alleged extrajudicial killing of drug suspects.
On Sunday, Malacañang revealed that no invitation has been officially released and extended to any international body with regard to investigating the drug-related killings.
It further said that President Duterte sees the pronouncements from external bodies on the country’s antinarcotics drive as “unwelcome meddling.”
President’s spokesperson Ernesto Abella disclosed that the exchange between Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo and United Nations officials on drug-related killings in the country were “unofficial.”
It can be recalled that on Friday last week, Panelo has rejected the UN allegations that the government’s bloody crackdown on illegal drugs amounted to a crime under international law.
For Panelo, the judgments were an act of “recklessness.” He also said that UN experts should “come over and see for themselves the real situation.”
The statements by Panelo was welcomed by UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions Agnes Callamard. The rapporteur tweeted that she is accepting the invitation to investigate the matter. She added that she is ready “see for myself” the real situation in the country.
However, Abella said that the “UN mouthpieces” only assumed that an invitation was offered when it was not.
“The Philippines has not extended any invitation to anybody, nor the UN, to look into its national affairs. We are capable of our own internal dialogue,” Abella said.
During the campaign, one of the promises made by the President was to suppress crime and illegal drugs within three to six months.
Latest statistics show that there are already 1,500 drug suspects killed while thousands of users and pushers have surrendered to authorities and signed confessions on drug use. PNP Chief Ronald Dela Rosa said that of the 1,500, 665 were killed through “legitimate operations” while the rest were eliminated by vigilantes.
President Duterte is the current president of the country after winning the May presidential elections with at least 16 million votes.
READ ALSO: VIDEO: Duterte threatens to leave the UN, defends war against DRUGS!