Infant becomes blind after relative snapped a photo with flash

Infant becomes blind after relative snapped a photo with flash

- A 3-month old baby from China suffered damage on both eyes after a relative took a photo with a flash 10 inches away from his face

- The unnamed infant’s right eye became blind, while the left had reduced vision – both which cannot be remedied by surgery

- While it is a rare case, health experts and physicians warn parents to observe extra caution since a baby’s body is still fragile and sensitive

Editor's note: The images related to the keywords in this article are graphic in nature and may be disturbing to some viewers.

A new-born baby is surely a cause for celebration. Relatives, friends, and even colleagues would take time off from their busy schedules just to pay a visit to the infant who was recently brought into the world.

Although it’s a season for festivities, loved ones should take extra precautions on taking care of their baby – whether from the simplest or the biggest actions.

A 3-month old was only freshly introduced to other family members when his parents took notice of how he had a difficult time opening his eyes, which began crusting and oozing all over.

READ ALSO: Your heart will break when you find why this child carries bamboos from the mountain everyday

Infant becomes blind after relative snapped a photo with flash

His parents rushed him to the pediatrician upon noticing his worrisome eyes. (Photo credit: Daily Mail)

Panic and concerned, the couple immediately took him to their pediatrician who delivered an unfortunate news no lately turned mother and father would hope to hear.

The baby boy, who remained to be unnamed, had suffered irreparable damage on both of his eyes. His right was deemed to be permanently blind, while his other eye was left with reduced vision.

When the doctor and parents had managed to put two and two together, they found out that the horrible outcome was caused by a mistake no one would have expected to be – snapping a photo.

READ ALSO: Mother seeks justice for the death of her 7-month-old baby

According to the couple, a relative forgot to turn off the flash before taking a close-up photo of the baby, merely 10 inches away from him.

Infant becomes blind after relative snapped a photo with flash

The poor baby would live the consequences of the simple mistake as it could not be remedied by surgery. (Photo credit: lovethispic.com)

In a report by Daily Mail, the sudden presence of strong light has damaged the part of the eye where incoming light rays where focused – this was called the macula.

Just like the rest of a baby’s body parts, their macula has not been fully developed yet. Until they reach the ripe age of four, their macula remains to be highly sensitive.

READ ALSO: Man finds wife in baby's crib. What she has to say is heartbreaking

Regrettably, for the couple’s child, the past cannot be undone as the injury could not be repaired through surgery as well.

Despite the tragic incident being a rare occurrence, quite a few health experts argue that it was truly possible as reported by Inquisitr.

Aside from flash photography, bright vanity lights may also harm a baby’s vision. Physicians’ advice for parents would be to opt for a dimmer wattage or have the baby face a different direction.

Related news

La Salle deals loss to rival Ateneo to become UAAP Season 79 champion

La Salle deals loss to rival Ateneo to become UAAP Season 79 champion

La Salle downs Ateneo for 9th UAAP title