- Jasper Allen, 2, developed chickenpox after a bout of scarlet fever in July
- Mother Sarah called the GP practice but was told he didn't need a doctor
- Days later he was admitted to hospital where he was treated for 5 days
Jasper Allen, two, spent five days in hospital after his severe chickenpox sores, which covered every inch of his body, became severely infected. Yet only 48 hours before he was rushed to hospital, his mum, Sarah Allen, claims he was refused a doctors appointment because a receptionist didn’t think his condition was severe enough.
It was so bad his mother Sarah, 36, said doctors considered contacting medical journals as they had never seen such an extreme case. He was put on an IV drip and given antiviral medication, antibiotics and morphine to help his ravaged body fight the virus.
READ ALSO: Monster mum forced her 14-year-old son to have sex with her and filmed it for vile reason
Mrs Allen claims two days before he required emergency treatment, she was refused an appointment at her local GP surgery because a receptionist did not think the condition was severe enough to warrant a visit. Now she is calling on the Government to make a vaccination against the disease - currently only available to certain children on medical grounds - free for all on the NHS.
“Everyone's reactions in the hospital were just complete shock over how severe it was - the doctors all wanted to come and see this worst ever case of chickenpox.
"There was even talk about using the pictures for a medical journal. One of the paediatric nurses with 40 years' experience said she had never seen anything like it. We couldn’t hold him for three days because he screamed every time we touched him.” Said Mrs Allen, who works as nursery manager at St Neots, Cambridegshire.