- Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief, Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa warned the public about 911 prank callers
- Dela Rosa said that the PNP will go after pranksters clarifying that prank calls will be tracked down
- The 911 service was launched Monday, August 1
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief, Director General Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa warned the public about 911 prank calls saying the system is already tracking the prank callers.
Dela Rosa said that the prank callers will be unmasked and will be arrested.
The 911 system has been launched August 1, Monday.
"The Chief PNP is warning the 304 prank callers and the would-be callers. The 911 system is currently tracking the prank callers and we will make sure that you will be unmasked and arrested," the top PNP official said in a press briefing.
He said that of the 2,475 calls recorded from 12:00-7:00 a.m., 1,356 were prank calls.
Dela Rosa said that 304 of the prank callers have already been identified.
"Refrain prank calls and test calls. You clog up the lines and prevent people with real emergencies to reach us," the police official added.
Pranksters who will be convicted will be "punished with imprisonment of not more than five (5) years, or a fine of not more than forty thousand pesos 40,000.00 or both at the discretion of the court having jurisdiction over the offense herein defined and penalized."
Meanwhile, a story about a woman who tested the 911 system has gone viral. The woman called 911 after its launched when she felt threatened of a man entering her place.
The woman also shared her 911 experience saying that the service is effective and the police force are quick to respond to the emergency situation.
Dela Rosa had earlier ordered the police force to act immediately upon receiving alerts from 911 calls. He also reassured the public that the PNP will respond quickly on emergency situations. -Kami Media