Duterte ends media boycott; holds presscon in Malacañang

Duterte ends media boycott; holds presscon in Malacañang

- President Rodrigo Duterte finally addressed the press from private media companies after the oath-taking in Malacañang on Monday, August 1

- The president had talked about several issues including contractualization, mining, and the Bangsamoro peace process

- The press conference lasted for around 40 minutes, followed by an impromptu photo-op with the members of the press

President Rodrigo Duterte surprised everyone when he finally ends the media boycott and entertained questions from private media after the oath-taking of government appointees at the Rizal Hall in Malacañang Palace on Monday, August 1.

Right after the oath-taking of government appointees, Duterte walked to the microphone in the middle of the room and said, "Two urgent matters that I will bring to the attention of the people of the Philippines." 

Duterte ends media boycott; holds presscon in Malacañang

President Rodrigo Duterte at the Rizal Hall in Malacanang Palace.

(Photo credit: GMA News)

After a short talk about contractualization and mining, the president answered questions from the media - from contractualization to the peace process - and talked about his preferred way to amend the Constitution.

READ ALSO: Duterte warns contractual companies

He also defended Environment Secretary Gina Lopez, while at the same time, maintaining his naturally intense and derisive self, and mixing policy statements with jokes and teasing.

Duterte was even game enough to pose for a photo with some members of the media, even though he was to attend a Cabinet meeting.

The impromptu press conference lasted for around 40 minutes, with the president responding to questions at length, seemingly unwilling to end the speech. "We have about five more hours to go," he joked.

READ ALSO: READ: Live-in partner of killed DRUG suspect has a strong message for Duterte

The journalists had to thank him 'twice' indicating the end of the press conference before Duterte gave the closing address.

Last week, Duterte talked to select members of the press after he delivered his first State of the Nation Address (SONA).

READ ALSO: Duterte drug war rages on: 2 ‘Chinese drug lords’ killed by vigilantes

This is the president's first briefing with members of the press corps, since his last press conference that allowed the audience from private media and sparked much controversy due to his catcalling a GMA-7 female reporter on June 2.

Duterte's special assistant Christopher "Bong" Go had said that the president would boycott the press to avoid mistakes until the end of his term in 2022.

RELATED: Public school teachers to get P15,000 salary increase

Related news

Proud Duterte tells Filipinos he doesn't owe them an explanation re Marcos' reinstatement

Proud Duterte tells Filipinos he doesn't owe them an explanation re Marcos' reinstatement

Proud Duterte tells Filipinos he doesn't owe them an explanation re Marcos' reinstatement