- President Rodrigo Duterte's State of the Nation Address (SONA) focused on three things: war on drugs, the push for federalism, and the promotion of peace
- Duterte delivered a heartfelt speech and written with utmost sincerity
- The SONA is done annually by the sitting president of the country
President Rodrigo Duterte had just delivered his first State of the Nation Address (SONA) in what is tagged to be a very 'powerful' and 'patriotic' speech.
The address was a speech that was personally written by President Duterte himself. It was a heartfelt speech written with utmost sincerity.
Apart from the seriousness of Duterte laying out his promises to the Filipino people and the discussion of how he intends to implement his campaign against drugs and criminality, the speech was a unique SONA as it was also full of humorous remarks and adlibs that Duterte is very known for.
READ ALSO: LOOK: Duterte meets the media after SONA
Duterte spoke very naturally as if he was just merely conversing with the Filipino people. It was a 100-minute speech that was very direct to the point.
Presidents in the past have delivered their SONAs in different unique ways as well.
This article will feature a few trivia of the different SONAs of the past.
1. Who is the only president who did not deliver a SONA after 1944?
Answer: President Corazon Aquino
2. Which two former presidents did not deliver a SONA because the constitution at their time made no provision to report to Congress?
Answer: Emilio Aguinaldo, Jose Laurel
3. Who is the only President to deliver his speech purely in Filipino?
Answer: Benigno Aquino III
4. Which president delivered the longest SONA ever?
Answer: Ferdinand Marcos
His SONA in 1969 was composed of 26,335 words.
5. Which president delivered the shortest SONA?
Answer: Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
Her SONA in 2005 only consisted 1,551 words.
6. This President used only one Filipino word in his entire SONA
Answer: Manuel Quezon
The single Filipino word he used was 'Kasamas'.
7. Who is the only president who delivered his SONA via radio broadcast?
Answer: Elpidio Quirino
He was confined at John Hopkins Hospital during his address.
8. The First SONA to be directed by an award-winning director?
Answer: Rodrigo Duterte
His SONA was directed by Brilliante Mendoza.
How many did you get right?
Under the constitution, the State of the Nation Address must be done annually by the sitting president of the country.
It serves as the president's report about the country's present economic, political and social condition.
Duterte's SONA focused on three things: War on drugs, the push for federalism, and the promotion of peace.
What also made this SONA unique from the past SONA's is Duterte issuing a dress code mandating attendees to only wear business attire and prohibiting them from wearing lavish and expensive gowns.
This is a reflection of the frugal government Duterte has promised. - Kami Media